[Solved] App Store Publishing - Missing Push Notification Entitlement

Finally got my app to work and submitted it to the Apple App Store. I almost immediately got the following response (likely computer generated). I haven’t a clue how to address these issues since I’m developing in Thunkable. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. By the way, the API I’m calling via webAPI is to send commands to a particle.io device. I also have an “Alert” function, which might be what’s causing them to think I’m using Notifications.

Here’s the feedback from Apple:

Dear Developer,

We identified one or more issues with a recent delivery for your app, “Relevant Remote” 2 (3). Please correct the following issues, then upload again.

ITMS-90683: Missing Purpose String in Info.plist - Your app’s code references one or more APIs that access sensitive user data. The app’s Info.plist file should contain a NSBluetoothPeripheralUsageDescription key with a user-facing purpose string explaining clearly and completely why your app needs the data. Starting Spring 2019, all apps submitted to the App Store that access user data are required to include a purpose string. If you’re using external libraries or SDKs, they may reference APIs that require a purpose string. While your app might not use these APIs, a purpose string is still required. You can contact the developer of the library or SDK and request they release a version of their code that doesn’t contain the APIs. Learn more (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/core_app/protecting_the_user_s_privacy).

Though you are not required to fix the following issues, we wanted to make you aware of them:

ITMS-90078: Missing Push Notification Entitlement - Your app appears to register with the Apple Push Notification service, but the app signature’s entitlements do not include the “aps-environment” entitlement. If your app uses the Apple Push Notification service, make sure your App ID is enabled for Push Notification in the Provisioning Portal, and resubmit after signing your app with a Distribution provisioning profile that includes the “aps-environment” entitlement. Xcode does not automatically copy the aps-environment entitlement from provisioning profiles at build time. This behavior is intentional. To use this entitlement, either enable Push Notifications in the project editor’s Capabilities pane, or manually add the entitlement to your entitlements file. For more information, see https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptual/RemoteNotificationsPG/HandlingRemoteNotifications.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40008194-CH6-SW1.

Best regards,

The App Store Team

Seriously??? No response from the Thunkable folks? If there’s documentation on how to address these needs expressed by Apple, please point me in the right direction or offer advice. Otherwise, why should I be paying for this account?

Hi @ctm

Thanks for reporting the issue and I will fix the issue within the next 24 hours.

Best,
Wei

Hi @ctm

The issue is resolved. Please try to submit the app to Apple again.

And you can safely ignore the following error as stated in the email -
ITMS-90078: Missing Push Notification Entitlement

Best,
Wei

1 Like

I’ll try this evening. Thanks for your prompt attention to this issue!!!

By the way, do I merely re-submit it to the Apple App Store via my Thunkable account or do I need to bump the version number and/or change anything else on the App Store Connect site? Sorry if this is simple stuff. I’ve just never successfully gotten an app published on the App Store!

Hi there!

You just need to increase the build number. Hope it works for you :slight_smile:

Best,
Wei

1 Like

@wei – your fix worked! I’ve been able to get my app through the App Store review process and it’s ready for Test Flight and/or sale. Thanks, again, for your prompt attention to this issue!

This should be marked “Resolved”, but I’m unclear as to how to do that.

1 Like

Hi, We are having the same issue with " missing push notification entitlement ". When We open one signal there is an error but the solution does not really help. We tried resubmitting and it passes through the review but the notifications do not work. Can anyone help us, please?