[Solved Sept 2023] App Store Publishing - Missing Push Notification Entitlement

I see that this issue was raised in Jun '19 but the solution wasn’t very clear.

As far as I am aware, I am not using ‘Push Notifications’ in my app but Apple issued a warning to say that I am. I haven’t added any blocks for push notifications. I do use them in a different app.

This is the message from the App Store:

ITMS-90078: Missing Push Notification Entitlement - Your app appears to register with the Apple Push Notification service, but the app signature’s entitlements do not include the ‘aps-environment’ entitlement. If your app uses the Apple Push Notification service, make sure your App ID is enabled for Push Notification in the Provisioning Portal, and resubmit after signing your app with a Distribution provisioning profile that includes the ‘aps-environment’ entitlement. Xcode does not automatically copy the aps-environment entitlement from provisioning profiles at build time. This behavior is intentional. To use this entitlement, either enable Push Notifications in the project editor’s Capabilities pane, or manually add the entitlement to your entitlements file. For more information, see Local and Remote Notification Programming Guide: Configuring Remote Notification Support.

After you’ve corrected the issues, you can upload a new binary to App Store Connect.

I do see ‘Push Notifications’ in the ‘App Features’ section of the ‘Blocks’ screen, but I don’t remember adding this capability to the app I am currently creating.

Hi @finbarr.mccarthytl32

This message is simply a warning, not an error–there is nothing wrong with your app and it will still appear on the App Store. It is due to the fact that the code for push notifications is bundled within the app, and the app config is set for notifications.

There is unfortunately nothing you can change at this point in the app config so that you do not receive this message. The way apps from Thunkable are bundled for publishing to the App Store, they will contain code that will automatically trigger this email from Apple, even if you yourself are not using push notifications in your app.

Thank you for clarifying this Matt.