My App crashes when I open it

Ok, then it sounds like that’s the place to start looking.

Have you sent me your project link yet?

1 Like

Nope, I didnt send anything. But isn’t this proyect. I had the same problem with totally differnt proyects, the only similar characteristic was the size. (In the other phone, those apps works perfect)

Tell me if do you need some link and I can share you in private.

@Leito - yes please send them on.

1 Like

I sent you both Links. Thanks!

Hi @domhnallohanlon, thanks for your prompt reply.
No error message is shown: the app simply can’t start at all. The only information I get is a generic crash information pop-up.
See attached screenshot (in English: “Open App Again”, “Try to fix”, “Disable until reboot”). Regards, Giacomo

1 Like

No problem at all @meaccig

Can you send me your project link so that I can try build and test this on my own Android device?

Thanks.

1 Like

There’s a simple way to share the project link privately?

1 Like

@meaccig here’s a quick guide:

1 Like

HI @domhnallohanlon, I’m sorry to bother you again, but I can’t find the blue button “Send Message” you mentioned in your post.
I can’t see in your screenshot, too…
Many thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi @domhnallohanlon, the generated apk file seems to be crashing only on android 8 and below. Hope this information is useful. Greetings :+1:

1 Like

i got crash email from someone on android 8 also

1 Like

getting alot of emails App crashing

1 Like

Yes, and does not depend on the version. There are phones that crashes and others don’t, having both the same versions. I don’t know what it could be

i am asking people tell the phone and version so i got Samsung edge Samsung galaxy i am trying to tell just download apk but they afraid to download because its not from google play

1 Like

Does someone have any updates on this issue (has someone tested if the apk files are still crashing for android 8 and below)?

1 Like

Hi! according to my tests it does not depend specifically on the android version.
There are devices with the same version that work and others that do not.
Not much change yet

1 Like

yea it crashing on certain phones dont know why yet

1 Like

Hi! I can confirm that only some devices are affected by this (annoing) issue. Yesterday I tried to dowload and install my app on my girlfriend’s phone Xiaomi Mi 9 SE (Android 9) and the app worked fine.
On the contrary, on my Lenovo P2 (Android 7) the same APK file still crashes. I really hope this information is useful and help the Thunkable’s developers to fix this issue.
Many thanks to @domhnallohanlon and the whole community for the active support!

2 Likes

Also, spaces matter, as well as typos, etc. it can lead to crashes and frustration. My advice to @Leito is the following:

• Double check each column name, table name, and comb through it for spaces, case sensitivity, typos, and anything that doesn’t seem correct. When we’re coding big database connected apps like yours or mine (StartShare), you’re going to make little mistakes like these, it’s just an inevitability when you have all these variables and functions flying at you!

• Try renaming your column names to simpler terms, eliminating any accents and special formatting on the names of columns. I realize your database is set up en español, and I love that, being that I know a bit of Spanish and French, however accents on letters can throw off a program and lead to a glitch due to trying to parse special UTF characters. You basically want to make this as simple as you can for the code to execute, and write down your translations in a separate document explaining what each field means for your reference.

I had crashing issues when developing my app early on and in solving each one realized your key to stability is a lightweight but elegant UI, properly ordered and efficient code, simple/proper syntax and formatting for variables, components or fields!

Here’s my “efficient code order of operations” based on triggering an event:

• Trigger: “Screen Start/Open or Button Click”: get key variables you need to load into your visual elements from your database and save them as app variables
  • Logic functions (if then, else if…)
  • Loading variables/elements: set visual elements and other important parameters to what you got from your database and saved as a variable.
  • Organize what blocks/content you need to load as smallest first, biggest last! This will greatly increase reliability and speed up load times!

I’ve used Thunkable X as a PRO member since 2018, the classic platform since 2016 when I built my first social media app Contact Lens, and migrated from its predecessor MIT App Inventor 2, which I used starting in 2013. If you know how programming, databases, and software itself works quite well and truly are dedicated to your project, you can use Thunkable to create a high-quality commercial application (such as mine, StartShare). It’s doable, it’ll take you a LOT of work and coffee fueled research, but you’d be surprised the kind of stuff you can build.

All the best, let me know if I can help!

• Ethan at SwagShare, LLC.
3 Likes

but it crashing for some people and working fine for others how can i figure out why it cashing on some phones

1 Like