Maps App Template Powered by Cloudstitch and Airtable

With this template you can create your own location-based application. You can choose between Airtable and Cloudstitch with the constant USE_AIRTABLE

Cloudstitch (documentation) Airtable (documentation)
1 Create a new Cloudstitch project and open the connected spreadsheet Create a new table or upload a csv file
2 Delete all demo data (don’t forget those on Sheet2) Get your API key and Base ID
3 Add your column names in the first row Edit the column names
4 Insert your username and project name into the constants on top of the project Insert your API key, Base ID and view name into the constants on top of the project

Your column names (in Cloudstitch they are in the first row) for this Berlin example should be

lat lng color polyline title snippet description address time

The app now shows all markers on the map. When the user selects a marker, the title and snippet is shown above the marker and all other fields are displayed on a HTML-enabled label below the map. If the user clicks anywhere on the map, the label hides again

Note: This app is just a template, feel free to customize it as you want. If you add columns, you can select the content with the lookup in pairs block on the element screen.The description label is HTML enabled, so you can style the text. Here is an example with some information for visitors in Berlin

You could also make an app with places in your city, workplace, university or something completely different
map.aia (9.2 KB)

Changelog

2018-09-27: Initial release
2019-02-28: v2 now supports Airtable

11 Likes

care to share any screenshots? :+1: nice work!!

1 Like

I added some screenshots. Note that the polylines do not work at the moment

1 Like

I uploaded a new version. Along with some improvements, polylines do work now (I just mixed up latitude and longitude). You can enter a JSON-encoded string in the polyline column to show a polyline for a marker. The string should look like this: [[lat1,lng1],[lat2,lng2],...]]

An App Inventor compatible version can now be found at

The two projects are not compatible because Thunkable classic uses a different maps component than App Inventor