Making better chat apps with the "Any Component" blocks

A post was split to a new topic: Chat app with Airtable

Good day domhnallohanlon
The don’t seems to be working when I copied it into my app,

I’m not sure if I missed it, but did anyone figure out how to have the column start at the most recent message on the bottom of the column, so you don’t have to scroll down to the most recent message?

1 Like

Do you have the link for this project? I was also Trying to Integrate firebase into a chatapp

HI, i am making an app for my school so kids can communicate with peers and teachers, i did your code but the messages are squashed together instead of apart and scrollable here is a picture PLEASE HELP ME:

Hey @jenisha.s it looks like the font if too big for the labels?

Did you change the font size in your project?

You just need to change the font size of you can increase the button size
You can use this link: Thunkable

How do we send voice messages too??

Hi, I am practicing how to use thunkable to make a chat app, I wanted to know how do I make the app able to chat with different people?

1 Like

Well it’s easy,

1. Create a firebase account
  2. Set up a realtimedb
    You can skip steps 1 and 2 if you don’t want a personal database
  3. Design it however you want
  4. I use lists but if you want to make a chat app with any component checkout @domhnallohanlon’s tutorial
    5.Drag a realtime db invisible component
    6.Code for it like when your send button is clicked your realtime db’s call save if your text input’s text is not null
    7.When your screen starts call the add listener
    8.Initialize a chat app variable to an empty list
    9.Do the when your realtime db data changed Insert at last at your variable list Chat and set list viewer’s text items to app var chat

If you want to chat with a specific person then Use the key as your personal room name or the Person’s username

2 Likes

Hi , I have a quiestion, what kind of cloud are you using???

Hi @jobsin2021xn8qhm we use Firebase to power the cloud variable blocks in Thunkable

1 Like

Okey thanks

Did you use a realtime database in firebase

Yes

@domhnallohanlon can we make a chat app using the new drag and drop interface?

Absolutely @codeemaker - I’d recommend you give it a go and create a new topic over in the #thunkable category if you need any help or guidance!

Best of luck with it

yes but even so, would the space run out after i have typed alot? but thank you, i will try this!

i think you can make a extra screen with video recorder, record something then save it as cloud datathen anyone on the app can view it. i think thats how you do it, im not an expert :slight_smile:

What its confusing when I coded like this it is connecting with your chatbox XD

What its confusing when I coded as the exact you gave it is connecting my app to your app XD XD XD XD

1 Like