Linking from a data viewer list

I’m working on application that is a variation of David Wolber’s demo on the Meet My Classmates app. The data that I’m using includes websites, email address and phone numbers. The data resides in a Google Sheets environment. When a user looks at the list, he’ll see a company logo, the name of the contact and the company name. When clicking on that, the user is taken to a detail page…

On the detail page, you’ll find phone numbers, email addresses and website information. I’d like that data to be clickable. So if you click the phone number, it opens up your phone’s dial pad and lets you make a call. I’d like the same sort of thing for the email addresses and website links… in other works, making them clickable.

I’ve looked through the forum but I don’t see any info on how to make this work. Any suggestions? Is it even possible? Any info would be much appreciated.

Are you using the data viewer list?

Use blocks somewhat like this:

And see this post for various things you can on click, including phone calls: Are there any phone call options in Thunkable Cross Platform - #5 by actech

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll take a look at this and let you know how it works out.

The block Open link will work for you just for the web sites

If you want to make a call or send sms or email

You need to use the Share component

1 Like

the share component is only in the new drag and drop interface, right? I think tel:123456 can be used with the open link to make calls.

2 Likes

hi @catsarisky
i’m sorry i didn’t use the new drag and drop interface and i wasn’t know that the share component is not available there :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The share component is available in both UIs but the requested features can all be implemented by the open link block.

1 Like

Thank you @muneer muneer and @bader_mouti - I thought that share was only in the new interface! I’ll have to look for it in the old one also!

3 Likes

The SHARE drawer is only available in the new UI. There’s a component which can do the same things.

2 Likes

It is part of the invisible components

Following are the coding blocks for the share component

3 Likes

First, I want to thank you all for the information. The combination from @catsarisky and @muneer was especially valuable and I’ve got most of the page working as intended.

Second, I do need to say that I wasn’t as clear as I probably should have been in my original posting.

In my list I’m showing a picture, the name of the person and then the name of their company. When you click on the list, you’re taken to a detail page that provides more information including phone numbers and web addresses. I was able to use a click block for phone, cell phone and email address labels in combination with a share block to get the behavior I want. Click on a label and launch the dial pad or an email message.

What I’m still missing is how to navigate to a website. The share block doesn’t have that option. Can someone point me in the right direction here? I want to take a label and link the contents of that label to the actual website. I know that I need to use a click block for the label, but I’m not sure what other components to use. I know I can use a webviewer to open the site in my application but I’d really prefer having the link open in the users default browser.

1 Like

I think that “open link” does what you want - see the block image I posted above?

1 Like

Yes, @catsarisky is correct.

Thank you! That worked!

2 Likes