I wish to create a Search bar which will return very specific values from a GSheet

Hi @muneer, I have now again start from scratch and have recreated the blocks as per one of your earlier instructions by copying the blocks and applying my relevant info/ data.

My app link:

https://x.thunkable.com/projects/61a4d8facd6a4c0011c5f134/6f222a98-901d-4a11-847e-419f7b11038a/designer

The app I copied from was called “Search DVL DnD UI copy”. See link below:

Your blocks
https://x.thunkable.com/projects/61a9204825ab2900e37974db/4274ad8c-2327-4343-bd8b-1004df961ca9/blocks

My blocks now look like this:

The “Get row object from” block has a dovetail connector so I don’t know where to put it.

Also, after my app has completed a search, it returns a “Matched: 0” message even though the data record is present in the spreadsheet.

See below:

My REG column has been bound to the DVL (DVL2). As you can see below:

My “FVRegList” Sheet is the equivalent of your View List Sheet in your example. Again, see below:

My Sheet

Your Sheet

My Google Sheet (MAN First Visits) is the equivalent of your “Master Table” see examples:

My Google Sheet

Your Master Table

Could you please compare the sheets and tell me what exactly is wrong between the two and if possible could you offer a solution?

In your last message you wrote:

" I didn’t get what you want. If you want to search then you can search in one of the columns that you bind to the DVL and then when you get what you search for then use the row ID in the DVL and use it for get the full row of the Google sheet using the Get row block from the Data Source drawer.

Have you tried this?"

I cannot see how, or where, to attach the “Get row object from (DVL) in (Sheet*) block”

[quote=“muneer, post:19, topic:1647137”]
Get row block from the Data Source
[/quote] into my blocks.

or how to "

I really appreciate you trying to help but I cannot see where I am going wrong?

Sorry about the length of this message.

Andos.

1 Like

Will look at it tomorrow my time and see what I can do to demonstrate to you how to make it work. However, I will need sample data from your side to work with. You can provide the data as a Google sheet or a CSV file if you want.

I will not be able to check your project without a copy of the Google sheet that you use for the search.

1 Like

Hi @muneer, below I have sent you a link with an exact copy of my “FV” tab data (-called “FV-sample”) from my Google Sheet called “MAN First Visits so you have data to work with.

Please note that rows 1 & 2 are not to be included in the “Where the data starts” section in the Data Source setup. The data starts on Row 3. Please do not delete any of the rows as there is an “arrayformula” attached and this would cause your source data to error.

Many thanks.

Andos

1 Like

As for starting for the 3rd row, you can see the setup in this image

As you can see in the Data Source connection, I chose to start from row 3 instead of the default 2.

I have created a minimal project from your original project to show only the search and also added a sample Label to show the data in the selected row.
https://x.thunkable.com/projectPage/61c4c2897b7b9d0010f6bc23

Hi @muneer, many thanks for the suggested solution. You’ve made it seem so simple. Though there are a couple of things I don’t understand the logic behind…

The first one is what does the “j” mean from the variable section?

Why do you use “Title Wrappers” and " Layout Wrappers" ?

Also, I have copied your copy into my main Project MANFVScreen but all I get is the loading icon. It was showing for over 30 mins before I stopped the action. I never saw a list from my spreadsheet appear. (-just the loading icon). Is this because there are nearly 2,000 records in my Google Sheet? If so, is there a way to speed up this search?

If it is not the number of records, could you please tell me this can be resolved.?

The user will not wait over 30 minutes for the screen to load so I wonder if I have misunderstood something? With my “very limited” knowledge I cannot see anything I’ve done differently to your latest suggestion.

Please view my version at the link below:

https://x.thunkable.com/copy/09170ffc7dde62ec14808bffaca3aea9

Andos.

1 Like

First things first,

If the solution I provided worked as expected then the first action from your side is to remove the sample Data Source and use your original Data Source with 2000+ records in my project and see that it works.

I don’t have access to your full list table and therefore will not be able to judge the performance of the app.

Second,
I see from your project that you have the following Data Sources in the app

But your code in the search screen refers to a Data Source that is not listed.

The Loading Icon is by default hidden. You have not hide it. That is why it is showing.

HI @mumeer, my replies are in bold type

I have now hidden the “Loading Icon”.

I have now completely adhered to your advice but as I previously mentioned, It takes a really long time for the search to complete if the record search is beyond Row 100. (It takes about 7 seconds to complete a search beyond Row 150 to Row 220. Does Thunkable only load about 100-150 rows at a time, or is it because of the amount data in the Source Google Sheets?

Thanks muneer

Andos.

1 Like

Thunkable will remove the connection to your Data Source and therefore I cannot access your data unless you shared the actual Google sheet.

See what I get

Hi @muneer, how do I link the actual original Google Sheet to you?. I don’t have an address to link to .

Andos.

Hi @muneer, let me know if I have linked it correctly.

Andos.

1 Like

Check this
https://x.thunkable.com/projectPage/61ca295782be4c01a096dab0

This demo is using a List Viewer instead of the Data Viewer List.

Connect your data source and check the response.

Hi @muneer, I know this might sound a daft question but where is the place I attach my source data to?

Andos.

1 Like

Hi muneer, I’ve figured it out and I’ve got your list version up and running the delay issue has improved greatly for the better… I am now going to try it in my MAN First Visits screen.

Andos.

1 Like

Hi @muneer, I have now applied your solution to my “MAN First Visits” in my app and have noticed that after the screen opens, it takes about 8 seconds for the list to appear. But I can tell that the list is still loading in the background because when I scroll down the list on my device or on the PC the scrolling ends at around the Row 70. When I wait for about 20 seconds, or so, I can scroll a further 10-15 rows. I know it’s not my devices because my mobile is brand new and one of fastest on the planet and my PC is a performance spec machine.

I’ve also noticed that your version runs a lot faster than mine but I cannot understand why. I cannot find any discrepancies between mine and yours so what could it be?

Could you please check my work using the link below?

The only thing I’m wondering, is it because my app has lots of screens?

If not, is there any other way to improve the load times because eventually there will be 10’s of 1000’s of in the Google Sheet within in a few years.

Many thanks,

Andos.

1 Like

Hi @muneer, I have found my mistake. I somehow missed a block out (Doh!).

All appears to be working well now though I do have a couple more questions to ask …

1. If I wanted to make the column header text Labels in Labels 1-7 invisible and only appear after a search result has been found. How would I do that?

2. If I were to duplicate the MAN First Visits screen onto the MAN FV Entry screen and amend it so that when a search has been performed and the result has been clicked on. It would allow the user to amend/update or delete that entry. Also, would it be possible to add New Entries also? All this would be done using my FVENTRYFORM tab on my MAN Fiirst Visits Source Google Sheet.

See link here: MAN First Visits - Google Sheets

Many thanks,

Andos.

1 Like

See this video. This is the response I get from the search demo I made

I admit there is a time to load all 2500+ rows but the search is working better than expected.

Hi @muneer, that is exactly what I am now getting. :+1:

You’re a genius!!

I don’t suppose there is a way of resolving my last two questions related to this topic…

1. If I wanted to make the column header text Labels in Labels 1-7 invisible and only appear after a search result has been found. How would I do that?

2. If I were to duplicate the MAN First Visits screen onto the MAN FV Entry screen and amend it so that when a search has been performed and the result has been clicked on. It would allow the user to amend/update or delete that entry. Also, would it be possible to add New Entries also? All this would be done using my FVENTRYFORM tab on my MAN Fiirst Visits Source Google Sheet.

1 Like

You can treat them the same way you treated the Loading Icon, keep them hidden by default and only show them in the code block in item click.

1 Like

Hi @muneer, I shall try that…!

Andos.

1 Like

Thanks @muneer that works brilliantly!

And finally, my last part of my question/ problem…

Thanks,

Andos.

1 Like