I Absolutely Love This Hobby..."Chasing" the Northern Lights!

Just wanted to share some pics from last night. Lots of app users here in the Anchorage area were looking at data and trying to see if it was a good night. Early on, it looked great. As the night progressed, we began to wonder if we would get to see anything and then Lady Aurora showed up! It was a balmy -15F out there last night, but I absolutely love this hobby and I am mesmerized every time I see the night sky light up!

10 Likes

Gorgeous photos! Thank you for sharing them. I’m jealous but I’m also enjoying the 20°C California “winter.” :sweat_smile:

What kind of exposure do you have to use to take photos of the Northern Lights?

5 Likes

On my iPhone, I can use about a 3s exposure. With my GoPros, I use 10-30s for stills (depending on the amount of moonlight) and 5-15 seconds for my night lapse videos.

4 Likes

My daughter is 11 and asked “how does he know where and when the Northern Lights will appear to be able to tell people in his app?”

Obviously referring to your impressive app here:

5 Likes

Awesome images. Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

Thank you! It’s definitely been a labor of love! It’s quite amazing how we can learn different sets of skills and, when the moment is right, mesh them together to build something uniquely valuable. In my case, my training analyzing weather information and my education in web programming. That’s how this all works. All I am doing is taking information available to all, analyzing it to see what works and what doesn’t, and then presenting that information to the user. Last night was interesting. It was the first time most of us have seen that level of aurora with the bleak data we had. But, that is another reason the app works! People can provide a yes/no response to the data in the Reports tab and we can refine our product based on the user’s experience. I want this hobby to be as interactive as possible and, from what I can tell, I’ve dang near hit the bullseye! :grinning:

5 Likes

Thank you! I’ll try to share more as the season rolls along. January through March were pretty active last year, so I certainly hope I get more chances to go out. Last year, I tried going out any night it looked promising. Those late nights add up to long days at work, so I am reluctant to venture out during the week. I typically go out on clear Friday and Saturday nights when the chance looks promising. And, I have been going out when nights are not prime just to try some astrophotography settings with my GoPros.

4 Likes

I can tell you this. I was literally staring at the first pic for minutes. Keep it up.

5 Likes

I can’t describe the feeling when I see them appear. It’s a magical experience and so, well, freeing. I forget about anything and everything going on in life when I am watching those lights dance. If you ever get the chance, take it. But, be prepared. You’ll want more and more.

4 Likes

Here’s a couple of videos from last night.

GoPro Night Lapse:
https://youtu.be/MwKjxWp5bv4
That’s roughly 2 1/2 minutes of video from nearly 7 hours of video.

Full Live Stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0rLkE86uSg
I streamed from about 10pm to 4:30am and took all of the saved videos to compile a full sequence. It is roughly 6 1/2 hours compressed into just over 20 minutes of video. I hope to do this more as it helps me collect great data on what the values were when I started seeing activity. I’ve put bookmarks in the description so you don’t have to watch the full 20 minutes to see the good points.

5 Likes

Oh My God :scream:

Its insane, I love it @ronnie
:star_struck:

3 Likes

#off-topic
Is this your YouTube Channel @ronnie ?

1 Like

I’m right frozen now.

weather you come, afternoon looks like the sun rized now.

4 Likes

It is! I post my videos there once I put them together.

2 Likes

Had a great night last night! My wife went with me and brought a friend who had never seen them before. I think she enjoyed the show! Here are some pics:

And here’s a link to the show we saw:

https://youtu.be/XVH91uqQBEc

I bought a nicer camera last week so I could get some good photos in Alaska to include the northern lights. I am not disappointed in the purchase!

4 Likes

Stunning photos.

Things that I only saw in Pixar animation films. That’s what I would thought if you haven’t said you did it.

3 Likes

that reminds me of 2022,xmas,and yeah December starting

1 Like

These are really great photos! I’ve been following the apps posts on Twitter. Love it! Keep them coming!

So many people in the world will never see this stuff. Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Here are some photos from Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. Looking forward to a potentially active night tonight with clear skies here in Southern Alaska!

4 Likes

I FINALLY got a good shot of me in my Thunkable swag! Thank you @cassandra for sending it my way! I will try to get some more during the season. I have TONS of pics (over 400) and a nice video to put together. What an AWESOME night tonight was to really see AMAZING AURORA activity! :smiley:

5 Likes