First impressions with Thunkable X

Hi. I am waiting for the email to tive access to this plataform.

Thanks for your feedback – all of those component asks are on our short-term roadmap. We are making the fix to let you install .apks without uninstalling the companion shortly.

Good note about the “do” in blocks – we will add that to our list as well.

Albert

1 Like

Hi there. We will definitely be adding Bluetooth support soon – can’t wait to see it in a museum!

Albert

2 Likes

I have revisited my code and I am very happy to be able to tell that my app now works on Android (1:1 compared to the iOS version)!

Great initiative and work, Thunkalble crew!

The bug first seemed related to local storage, then the tab navigator, but it actually boiled down to one specific bitmap object that had a seemingly correct width property - but changing it a bit and then back cured the issue.

I have seen similar issues around when using the editor (properties seems to be remembered or something). Maybe you need to review this your side?

Now - what is really (!) needed is that Thunkable will make a effort to enable the Thunkable X apps to be released to the App Store and Google Play:

(A) For the Android release we need (1) the keystore to publish, and (2) that the app icon is right.

(B) For the iOS release we need a full implementation of the launch screen (or at the very least a splash screen) definable by the app developer.

© Support for in-app monitization (e.g. AdMob banner commercials).

(D) Means of sending events from one screen to another (not just “starts()” event from the drawer nagigator or at app startup). This is requuired to synchronize data and screen content from e.g. local storage.

Without (A) and (B) we cannot move on. © would be very, very much appreciated as would (D).

Can you tell when these issues can be solved, please?

Hi there. Thanks for this great feedback.

A is on the way – in development as we speak.

B we will take a look into – you can create your own splash / launch screen with a timer and a screen – does that work for now?

C is also on our roadmap for our next set of components.

D is interesting – how do you use this? This should be something that we can incorporate.

Albert @ Thunkable

Hi again Albert,

Sounds good with (A).

Regarding (B): Not really a good option. However, maybe we could compromize here: if the Thunkable X/iOS developer could upload a launch/splash screen perhaps you could augment it with your slogan/logo in one corner, e.g. saying somthing like “Powered by Thunkable” or similar?

Looking very much forward to support for banner commercials - great!

Regarding (D): I currently cannot solve this issue for a number of reasons:

1: Starting/enabling a timer from one screen does not trigger a timer event on another screen.

2: The tab navigator does not call the starts() event handler.

3: The drawer navigator actually does send the starts() event but this means that the screen starts all over, which in my case is not useful as I read in a lot of variables and lists which takes quite some time on slower devices. Also , the drawer navigator is not always the best choice.

We really need a sort of mailbox for each screen, e.g. so that screen 2 can send events/messages to screen 1 and so on without triggering a screen reload/restart. Something like “Screen1.SendEvent(event);” that triggers an event handler on the receiving screen.

Greater amount of information (e.g. variables and lists) can be exchanged using local storage - but only if the consumer screen knows when to update it’s local copies.

Would somthing along these lines be possible?

Congratulations. Really a great job. Many of my apps, that I made for IOS also work with Android. Some things do not work now (e.g. Image picker, some layout looks a little strange compared with IOS - some label overlay others).
I am shure that these are only problems of the beginning.
Stay developing and improving. You are on a good way.
Thunkable X is, what developers need!

Karl-Hermann

… one more thing:

It would be really nice to have some sort of API/function to discover if the app is running on Android or iOS (e.g. to have different URLs for help pages, layouts etc.).

Could somebody give me access?

1 Like

Could somebody give me access?

are there support for admob adds
if yes then it would be good
filled the form for the service hope to see a reply soon

We need to be able to rename components, that’s something that will add convenience.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder – this has been on our list for awhile. Hopefully soon.

1 Like

All in all, it is a step in the right direction. This cross platform will keep me longer on thunkable. The issues with screen change and height / width characteristics of components disturb me a lot. However I think the team already knows the topics and still has a lot to do. Hope the functional scope will be further expanded.

Thank you for the development of this platform

Denis

Hi there. Apologies for your issues with Screen changes and sizing. Here is a quick intro to sizing – we can add additional guides for navigation as well.

https://docs.thunkable.com/thunkable-cross-platform/2-create/intro-to-sizing

Hello there, unfortunately this does not solve the issues. I can share a sample project with you to better illustrate it. For the screen navigation, I only use the “navigate to screen” block. However the thunkable live testing app stops just without error code. For width / height I use the “fill container” setting. However, the content of some identical components is not displayed correctly, although in other components with the same settings everything is ok.

Hi Denis,

I would be interested to see your example with the problem you are talking about

Hello, I’m sorry for the late reply, but I have not used this platform for a while. Since I’ve shared a link with the team and as long as these issues are not solved, I use other software that does not annoy me.

I was wondering if the login with Facebook /Google components are going to be added soon. Thanks

1. General observation
  • X Thunkable needs many new features, most of which are already available in Classic Android.
  • Since X is being marketed as a Cross Platform app builder, why not merge/incorporate all the Classic Android into the X and have a single App that, once you build a project, it can installed in either OS (iOS or Android). This will cut development time at least in half.
  1. The block area needs these improvements:
  • scroll up & down via mouse middle button
  • when zooming in and out, or reset the zooming, why not go back to same block that was under focus?
  • Lack of copy and paste is a major delay in terms of development
  • why not have the Backpack (as in AI2) so one can copy & paste across same projects?
  • Blocks have little description and a very generic and not-helpful sentence is used instead.
  • why not have some context-sensitive help for components when in the Blocks area?
  • how about completion ability for all component in the Block area?
  • Missing an Undo feature within Blocks in case of deletion of specific block/component
  • Missing an Undo capability in case of deletion of text inside of a text component
  • Missing a ‘Do It’ debug/troubleshooting capability as in AI2
  1. Documentation
  • It would be helpful to add much more info, explanation, and examples in the documentation for X.
  • Compared to other products (AI2, AppyBuild, …), the documentation is very skimpy.
  • Add more real-life examples for the Data components (spreadsheet, web API, all DB types, …)