[FEEDBACK NEEDED] Drag and Drop (DnD) vs. Snap to Place (StP)

Thanks everyone for your feedback - this is all really valuable and helpful as we continue to update and improve DnD for the coming quarter.

Agreed - we’re working on these and plan on adding them to DnD

We have a couple of updates almost ready to go for the label and I believe the Text_Input is scheduled for a redesign then once they get out!

These are great suggestions, when planning next steps we’ll try to prioritise the ones that have the most impact for the most users!

Good clarification/elaboration @tatiang, definitely hearing this one!

We’re making good progress on a significant update to all the docs. There’s still a few weeks work in there to do, but progress is being made!

Really? I use these regularly and this doesn’t happen to me. Can you send me a PM about this please @muneer? Thanks!

currently have one user testing this in “alpha” at the moment, docs a going to be finished shortly and then it will be time for a beta @martint - I’m excited for this one too!

Were you in the beta test for the converter? A good few users here helped us with this a few months ago, this was always part of the plan when DnD was released!

Can you PM me some examples please @sketch ? This is exactly the type of thing we’re looking to identify and fix ASAP!

Thanks for your help!

Interesting point @Pablo - what were the 3 most difficult things to “re-learn” as an StP user?

Thanks @ronnie - seeing this pop up a good bit too. We can definitely do a better job documenting best practices for the group component.

It’s had Firebase RealtimeDB since it was launched, see Muneer’s post above about this

Yep, the plan over the next few months is to improve the default properties and styles, thanks for the feedback in relation to this

This is a great suggestion!

Interesting - the camera use case is a good one, we’ll definitely have to give this one some more thought!

How many was “a lot” @carlinmclellan? We’ve shipped a number of significant performance updates in the past few weeks - if you open and DnD project and refresh it does it feel any faster to you now?

Thanks too for your feedback on design and layout, much appreciated!

Thank you! :joy:

Please keep the feedback coming folks - we have a number of meetings over the next two weeks to set our goals and priorities for the platform to the end of the year. If you see a post above that you agree with please leave a “like” and this way we’ll know what the most popular requests are.

Thanks!!

8 Likes

Im quite fresh new member here, i even didnt knew about Thunkable at that time :relaxed:

2 Likes

Ditto. I’ve tried it a few times and always stop after a couple minutes.

The web preview does not accurately represent what it will look like on the phone, and designing things that look presentable is not easy. It’s hard to get things aligned and sized properly across devices.

I pretty much stop there. If the design looks bad, it’s not worth pursuing further.

7 Likes

Ah - well, glad you’re here now @mimostel! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

This is really helpful - can you PM me some specific examples of what doesn’t look right?

Do things look ok in Thunkable Live? Or on the projectPage?

2 Likes

I am thinking regardless of the missing components/features that people are pointing out, the general consensus is most people still prefer working in the StP interface.
My vote is definately keep StP.

6 Likes

Same they should keep StP

3 Likes

Just for the sake of clarity, and before folks start casting votes, the sole purpose of this topic is to identify any and all reasons that people may currently have for not using DnD as their go-to, default option when using Thunkable.

Per Cassandra’s initial question:

1 Like
  • I found out before that there is no way to use firebase to monitor individual (not fixed variable names) function, in DnD!

• When I switched to DnD, the format ran away.

• I hope it is (0,0) in the middle, which is definitely more convenient for me.

• What is the maximum value of the coordinates?

• I hope that there are automatic, filling, and relative size functions as well.

Why I like StP:

• Relative component positions are easier to understand than coordinate.

• Quite neatly.

Hope to continue to use StP

6 Likes

Hello, I do not use DnD since I have noticed that my application requires to manipulate multiple databases from the blocks, and this is still not possible from the data viewer list, I have also noticed that it works very slow, so maybe I could deal with the speed, but if or if I need to change the airtable database from the blocks, is that understood?

guys you go for StP exept ME

is this feature-request thread?
then i have a request…
can we have mouse-middle-button scrolling in code-block window?..it would be very useful…now we have click on empty space and drag up-down to move screen…if we have mouse-middle-button-scrolling enabled, it would make things more interesting…

1 Like

I think that this topic is to give us the opportunity to reveal some feedback for DnD to @domhnallohanlon and his team.
Is not a poll or whatever else. If in developing, DnD will eventually come as the main environment here, so speaking also about some good aspects of StP is to provide them reasons to implement those in DnD aswell.

6 Likes

… kinda related to this is my next question ? Is in DnD version scrollable row working ? (or group that might scroll both vertical and horizontal, whatever you get there :roll_eyes: , i use only StP so i dont know it), because in StP, even if we get “scrollable” option for rows, is not working and i need it so bad for my project. (scrollable column works like a charm).

1 Like

As far as I know the Thunkable development team is working on a new kind of rows and columns which are still in the beta stage and once released it would (should) solve the scroll issue.

4 Likes

Not yet, but it’s on our radar. We’ve been discussing this constantly as a team, and trying to plan out the best way to build this with other features we plan to improve or release. Keep an eye out!

6 Likes

Started trying to do things with DnD. One painful thing is button text. I need the ability to change the padding/margin of the text. As it stands now, I have no control of the horizontal/vertical alignment of the text. This doesn’t work. Changing the font size keeps it centered horizontally, but I have no control over the vertical alignment.

4 Likes

I noticed that there wasn’t any some of the map features sitting here because what I’m MOST worried about is that about map. I’m done without these features.

plus, you can’t change the properties in advanced in StP UI. once you got them MIXED, you can do ANYTHING you want [in DnD].

Thanks for the the considered feedback @ronnie - that’s helpful to know.

We’re hoping to be able to get some significant updates out for mapping in the not-too-distant future @vishruth-ram, which one(s) were you most interested in?

map type, shows building, Shows inside(!not availible In DnD).

good side: edit anvaced properties in blocks (DnD)

Got it, thanks!

These aren’t available in StP either though, right?

1 Like