Data Sources: List Of Values from [Column] block does not update during app runtime

@jane

same behavior it only updated at airtable not at listviewer.

1 Like

Those purple blocks are asynchronous. The first one may not be done before the second runs. Try adding a 1s wait before you update list viewer. If that fixes the problem, then you’ll know it’s a timing issue only.

1 Like

@jane
The update value block is simply to update the value in the table and it does what it supposed to do but what is not performing as expected is the item click event of List Viewer1 which should update the content of the lower list viewer (List Viewer2).
I have tested it and injected wait blocks in different places but that does not seem to have any effect.

@muneer/
also i try on local db and worked perfectly but at airtable does not seem reflected at app unless app is close and open again.

@jane
is there anyway to refresh the screen?

2 Likes

i recreating the block using airtable block, it able to save and reflected at airtable and at screen.

here the block.

2 Likes

@jane does this mean there is a cache problem with the block list of values? The block will read from the Data Source only the first time and subsequent calls will reflect the cached values.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tag, @muneer - I made a sample app to test this out and it seems correct. I’ll bring this matter to the team’s attention.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming, @ozel1978. If you use a Google Sheet as a data source, do you get the updated data?

1 Like

@jane no it wont updated. so meaning airtable and spreadsheet wont be effected using data source block. while for airtable working fine if using airtable block itself.

1 Like

Ok, so just to be clear:

• The list of values from [column] block will not update if you are connected to an Airtable DB or Google Sheet
  • The list of values from [column] block will update if you are connected to a Local DB

Is that correct?

3 Likes

Yes, I confirm that.

1 Like

yes jane.

Hey @muneer @ozel1978,

Thunkable team member Janhavi has written a fix for this behavior. It should go live next week. Thanks to you both for providing info on this behavior!

3 Likes

Thanks @Jane . Can you share the fix @janhavi has written? I’m still having this issue of Google Sheets data not updating without restarting the app. I’ve used the block Data Viewer Grid - Refresh Data, then relink the field and even reload the screen. No luck.

Hello @khawschurch and welcome to the community. How are you testing your app? Are you using web, live, or native apps? This has been an ongoing topic for a few days, but the Thunkable team has fixed it as far as I can tell.

1 Like

I tried it in the browser, also clicked on open in different window, and used the Live app. Same result. It’s possible I don’t have all the needed blocks in place. I’ve tried several configurations of blocks. I simply use a Google Sheet with a hidden data viewer grid, and use labels to display specific cells of the Sheet. I was trying to use a button to refresh the data in the labels as the Sheet changed (changing the Sheet data not thru the app but thru a laptop. Just wanted to have an update button without having to restart the app).
Thank you!

1 Like

I think this is a known bug. @muneer can you confirm?

1 Like

Yes, the list of values block is an ON/OFF issue and @jane confirmed twice that the issue is solved but it comes up again in different ways.

Hi Robert,
Change your block using airtable block. Dont use datasource.

Thanks ozel1978! I figured out a workaround with datasource after all, which is why I deleted my post. As long as I grab each column in my Google Sheets with the “list of values in” block I can get the most recent data. But I will need to check out airtable too!

1 Like