Data list source update

I know that the issue with the data list not updating has been mentioned in another thread, but I wanted to give a specific feedback regarding expected behaviour. As you are making a no-code platform, you will attract people who may not be very experienced with programming in general, and because of that, expected behaviour should be one of your highest goals. This is the case for any user friendly system, but specially here.

The fact that the data source of a data list viewer is not dynamically updated is not expected behaviour. It goes against everything else on the platform and is just so incredible illogical. For this to be expected, there should be a button saying “Copy values from the selected data source to this list object and loose the ability to change them ever again” because this is what’s actually happening (unless I’ve missed something, which I hope). I’m really curious of what was the rationale for making it this way.

(btw. I’ve tried the refresh function and I don’t know what it’s supposed to do, but it does not get the values from the source again)

1 Like

May I ask you to clarify your situation.

You see to gave an issue with the List Viewer or Data Viewer List / Grid and automatically assumed that everyone else is facing the same issue. Although this could be true but you need to first explain your problem in a clear way to see if this specific problem is one of the listed bugs or a new bug or something specific to your project.

The way you said it does not give any clarification of the problem. It is worth giving screenshot of your code if you think this will make it easier for others to understand,

1 Like

Sorry for the lack of information, here are som more info. I’m working on an app that can be described as a medication reminder. Long story short in this use case, the user will always be at a certain level, and this level can be changed. I wanted to make a scrollable list where the current selection is marked, and where the marking is “moved” when the user makes a selection. This is done with a data list viewer with a standard built in table as a source.

The table looks like this, and goes all the way to 42:

When an element in the list is clicked, I first set the previous levels colour to white, and then set the new selection to an orange colour.

Now, I messed up in the beginning and edited the wrong column where I set the colour value in the numbers column so that it ended up looking like this in the preview:

Now this should be a fairly straight thing to change right? Just go back to the table and edit the value manually? Nope, because these are the current values in that table:

Why isn’t it a 1-to-1 relation between what the list viewer is showing and the contents in the source of the list viewer? I’ve tried selecting another source, I’ve tried manipulating the values in the table. The only way I could change it was to delete the list viewer element, and create a new one (which I’ve already done once).

I still hope I’ve done something wrong here, but looking at the post below, it seems like they have the same issue, and the latest post is a month old in time of writing.

1 Like

I take it that you are using Local Storage from your app and testing it in the Web Live Test which is the quick and dirty way but it already has a statement and a link that not every component is supported and if you check in the unsupported list
You will see this

So you know in advance that you are dealing with a component not, at least at this time, not supported by the test viewer and you should expect some difficulties dealing with it.

I am not saying this is right and I believe Thunkable should do a better job with it.

A better workaround is you design your app with tables connected to Google sheet or Airtable and once all is in order, disconnect the table and change it to Local Data Source. This is how I do it.

Thank you for responding. This was also the case if I used the preview button (is this the same as the Live Test-button?

I did see the warning that some components were not supported, however when I click on the link I get to a “Page not found”.

However, using Airtable instead of a local storage solved the updating issue. I do hope it will start working with the local storage as well, as loading from Airtable can be a bit slow.

1 Like