Critical error when using animation

Hello, I have uploaded animation from after effects in json format, but app crashes when I launch it and gives this

Does anyone know how to solve it

First, ask your users if they need animation in the app? Personally, when I see an animation, I immediately close both applications and web pages, because I need information, not animation. If I want to watch an animation, then I will watch a movie, a cartoon or a computer game.

As for your question, there is a problem with animation for a long time and I see only one way out - do not use it.

This is a known issue in Android. Many Lottie animation files are created from a tool called bodymovin. A little while back that tool was updated and and started generating files in a slightly different way. These new files exposed a bug in the Android version of the 3rd party package that we (indirectly) use to render those animations. We’ve been waiting a while for that package to get updated and incorporated into Expo (one of our primary frameworks). That recently happened. We hope to be able to update to the latest version of Expo sometime near the beginning of the year.

Sorry for all the Android Lottie problems and thanks for your patience.

-Mark

1 Like

First, ask your users if they need animation in the app? Personally, when I see an animation, I immediately close both applications and web pages, because I need information, not animation. If I want to watch an animation, then I will watch a movie, a cartoon or a computer game.

That seems a bit harsh :wink: . I think that a little animation can be a very pleasant addition to many apps.

-Mark

1 Like

I’m still having problems with my animation, it won’t show, I tested it on 2 different devices running Android 7 and 9 but both of the phones aren’t showing it.

How was the animation files generated and in what format. What exactly is the animation supposed to do - rotate, jump, dance, sleep, etc?

Hi Mark,
kindly checking if there has been an update to this, yet?
I tried a Lottie animation in my app for the first time yesterday. It works fine in the test app on iOS but it crashes on Android. See critical error below. I have a Samsung S10 with Android 10.
Animation is not a critical feature for my app, but would be nice and if I could implement it now and then “copy/paste” my screens for similar ones in the app it would save me some effort :slight_smile:
Maybe somehow has come up with a workaround and I didn’t find it in the community threads.
Otherwise, I’d go ahead without animations for now.

Thanks a lot and have a great week,
Antje

Hi @antje.smilesyft, I can double check but I think we’re still waiting on a third-party library to be updated before we can support the newest version of animations.

You should still be able to use older animations, or perhaps just use a static image as a placeholder for the time being and hopefully we will be able to get this component updated soon.

1 Like