Apps are targeting Android 13 (API 33) now

Hello all :slight_smile: We just released a new update and apps are now targeting Android 13 (API 33) when you build and publish. However, we still provide the option to build or publish apps that target Android 12 (API 31).

The default option is build/publish app with Android API 33; when you uncheck, that means your app will be built with Android API 31.

Build app with latest Thunkable release (only uncheck if you are having issues)

2 Likes

I notice that this checkbox option doesn’t exist for me anymore. Does that mean all builds are now API 33?

@wizzs This is correct, all builds now will target Android 13/API 33.

@matt_conroy Hi, just want to be absolutely clear. When you say that builds now target Android 13 does this mean that versions below 13 are no longer supported and may not run properly?

Steve

That is correct. It is also likely that Google will just pull those apps from their Play Store. I will link below the article about Target API level requirements for Google Play apps.

Feel free to reach out if we can help with anything else!

What if I am not using Google Play but doing direct installs?

These rules would only apply to apps sent to Google Play. Sideloaded apps would not be subject to this same requirement.

I do want to point out though that on the backend, when you go to download your .apk file, it will include the necessary updates to SDKs to meet the requirements.

1 Like

Thanks