Any Component blocks not functioning

It seems like this was working for me before but now when I add an Any Button block to any of my projects, the screen(s) with that block stop working. Even if the Any Button block doesn’t have any blocks inside, it still prevents all other blocks in the screen from working. Once I remove the Any Button block, everything else works again. I also tried Any Screen, etc. and they are all having this issue.

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 9.10.57 PM

Ultimately, what I’m trying to do is to get the number of the button that is clicked. So if I have five buttons on the screen and I click the 2nd one, it returns “2”. But I don’t see a way to do that and nothing was working so I simplified the example above. But this is as close as I got:

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 9.49.27 PM

Here’s a sample project where I’m seeing the simple version of the problem:

https://x.thunkable.com/copy/4cb625aebc8e40a45e797314f8da26ca

Oh… this is a known issue: "any button" block dont work

Yes

Thanks. Also, do you happen to have an idea how I might return the order # of the button I click? I explained that above but wasn’t sure if there’s any way to do it.

scrAirTable click button Clone - Demonstrates an example of blocks for arranging clones.

https://x.thunkable.com/projects/5d70f93f8a62b4079eedaff2/project/properties/designer/

Best regards, Alex
ACtech demo project
Thunkable X Basic Programming Course
Block Reference
Component Reference
Bug tracker
Polipaint
Map canvas
Method Inspector
Performance

I had figured this out in another part of my project and forgot because it wasn’t working due to the bug. Sorry for the trouble! Here’s the way it works correctly when downloaded to a device:

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 7.26.52 AM

To explain, I’m using the variable “thumbnail” to pass the index of the button (in this case an actual thumbnail photo of a person) to the next screen where a larger version of the same photo is displayed. So if the first thumbnail is clicked, it passes “1” and if the fifth thumbnail is clicked, it passes “5”, etc.

The problem with the index can occur only in one case - you use asynchronous blocks in a synchronous environment. Simply put, you need a certain order of components on the screen, but you do not synchronize the operation of asynchronous blocks for this. May I ask you to explain the problem in more detail? Now I do not understand it.

If you use a recursive function to create clones, as in my example with AirTable, where buttons are created, then there should be no problems with the index.

I’ve created two separate screens for these thumbnail images / student directory: one using clones and one without. They are both working properly with the index variable but updating the information from AirTable is very slow. So I keep trying different methods.

Are you running the production version of the app from the App Store or the Test Flight version? Also, can you post which version of the Thunkable Live app you are running? One way to do that is to go back to the project list in the app and press and hold the “thunkable” label at the top of the app. Finally, what phone and iOS version are you running?

Thanks!

-Mark

Hi @Mark, I replied to your other response as well but here’s the info:

I’m using the App Store version 56-71 on an iPhone 8 running iOS 13.2.3.

Thanks for looking into this!

Hi @tatiang,

I hope I can help you. Would you please take a look at my solved issue #295 at github: “how to get an index from anybutton”:

Thanks, I actually had solved it… I just didn’t realize it was correct because the bug was preventing it from working. My solution is similiar to what’s in the link you posted: using the component block in an Any Button block to determine which button was clicked.