Airtable "get value from cell" block returns cached data [June 2022]

when I update the new value of an airtable cell, it remains the old one when I retrieves it. why indeed?

1 Like

I’ve seen this before, just. tested and can confirm. I will be filing an internal bug report. thank you

as a workaround, i tested the Get Row Object block which returned updated values as expected. You can use it like this by using the get property of object block. the property will be the cell name (exactly as it is written in airtable)

Test project Here

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 10.35.40 AM

2 Likes

Glad to hear you’re filling an internal bug report. The Get Row Object block does seem more consistent but I’ve had problems with it recently, too, so I hope your engineers will also put it through its paces with Airtable and Google Sheets.

1 Like

Hey!
I did some digging and it seems to be a bug that was initially fixed and has recently started again. The “Get Value” and “Get row object” blocks with Googles Sheet Data Source only update if you close the whole app. When you stay on the app, the data remains in cache and does not update.

Do any of you have the same issue?

1 Like

I just checked and I can see get row block works

These are the blocks that reads the existing values

These are the blocks to change and test

There is an open bug for that block

You can use the get row block. Here is an example app showing that use case

https://x.thunkable.com/projects/62d1a408bcf1f100112a7d0b/41aa55eb-6b18-409c-8d80-aaca66beb19d/blocks

2 Likes

@Jared_Gibb @domhnallohanlon Where are we with this bug? It’s been months now and it seems like it’s still not a reliable block. I just tried to Get Value from a Google Sheet and it kept retrieving a cached value. If I get the row object, it has the correct data but I’d really like to be able to use Update/Get Value blocks as intended.

2 Likes