[Superpost] Questions about Screen Orientation

@point
However, sometimes I could when I rotate my phone to be horizontal.

When testing in thunkable x Live I have the problem that when I rotate the phone to landscape orientation, the screen is no longer scrollable.

For example the webviewer works fine in portrait mode, but doe not scroll in landscape mode.

Hey @Sander_Vanzijl,

Just wanted to let you know that we’ve got an update coming out shortly that will improve scrolling for rows and columns.

What sort of app are you trying to build?

Thank!

1 Like

This app is about showing a schedule for volunteers at a theatre festival

1 Like

Sounds like a really useful app.

I’d guess that it would probably work OK in portrait mode too though, right?

When is/was the festival?

Here is a post of how to make a side scrolling row.

if you rotate your materials by 90 degrees, would this work for you?

Am I right in thinking that plain vanilla screens and TabNavigators do support screen rotation, but StackNavigators do not? Is this documented anywhere?

Also, it would appear that there is no “on rotate” event support in X yet… I’m emulating it with a timer. That about right?

Thanks,

g.

1 Like

I do not think that it is documented somewhere. Many points in Thunkable X are not yet documented, something does not work, or it does not work as expected. I can only offer to check everything in practice.

2 Likes

Hi there. I believe all of the navigators and screens support rotation by default. There is no way to however fix your orientation i.e. to landscape yet.

Albert

4 Likes

Hi All, I dragged a screen object to the first spot. I’ve searched everywhere but cannot find the Appearance menu/tab, on which is supposed to like to Screen Orientation field:

I’m trying to build my app for both android and ios.

Where do I find the setting?

Also, once the app starts running, it doesn’t seem to detect if I turn the device to landscape or portrait. Do I need additional programming for that?

Hi,

In the current version of Thunkable X, there is no screen orientation setting function and detect it.

The competition to Thunkable also has the limitation that it doesn’t handle landscape (on ios at least) Why is it so difficult to implement?

I would love if you guys implement this feature

2 Likes

Hi there,

If you need to switch between Landscape and Portrait very much, then theoretically you can use such a temporary workaround. Create two identical screens, one of which is rotated by 90 degrees using the rotation property on the additional tab. After that, using Javascript (WebViewer) define the screen size and, if the width is greater than the height, then we call the screen with the rotated interface.

The problem is that when you rotate the screen, there is no event, and then you have to use a timer to track it. But in this case, you’ll have to use Firebase to quickly exchange data between WebViewer javascript and the native part. And for this device need to be online.

Hi AC,

I’m not seeing the “additional” tab. There is a Transform tab, but I do not see how to use it.

Hi,

All is correct. On the screen, add a button to see the transformation. Select Screen1, the Advanced properties tab, the Transform field group, select Rotate, enter the rotation angle in radians, and click the Add button.

transform

2 Likes

Nothing happens for me:

The angle of rotation must be specified in radians. Enter a value of 1.57 which means clockwise rotation by 90 degrees.

1 Like

neither to me…

It will not turn on the screen. Only without simulator.
Thanks