[Solved] Is there some reason why my blocks might start to lag?

I am sorry to write this but I hope that thunkable developers can and are fixing this soon cause it’s becoming really frustrating, having to wait an average of 7 seconds for every single move you make in the project, every.

I don’t know if the slow is because of the platform or it is because of how much blocks you have in the screen ( as is happens on every app inventor platform), if you have too many blocks in one screen like more than 800 blocks try to reduce then using as much as procedure you can or dividing blocks with more screens and also as the recent Any Components you can reduce blocks by using them as well

I have a 3 seconds delay so far and not too many blocks so I think is problem of the platform =(

This is not the problem of Platform; Auto-Compilation of every block is done when you make the slightest change.

Everyone wants this fix.

No. It starts at 300 blocks only… :sweat_smile:

The slowdown depends on the number of “heavy” blocks, the algorithms on the screen, as well as the project itself. If the screen put a lot of blocks “initialization” and “any”. Therefore, good braking can occur already at 130-150 blocks.

But I managed to set a record. In one of my projects on the screen is only 7 blocks. When switching to this screen, you have to wait 15 seconds to start working with it at all :wink:

1 Like

I have such a problem.
It is too slow to complete the project.
I feel emotionally frustrated.

1 Like

A normal breakdown starts when u add

“App” Variables.

The user has to wait 5 - 10 seconds for the screen to respond when he/she adds a variable.

Yes… @actech is absolutely right.

Thanks! :wink:

1 Like

Hi @maxb,

thanks for flagging this. Can you provide a little more detail about when this delay occurs.

You know that we’re always trying to make Thunkable the best it possibly can be! If you want to send on a link to your project then we can take a closer look at what’s going on.

Thanks,

1 Like

Hello there, @domhnallohanlon!

I can explain a little… :smile:

The delay starts normally after 300 blocks.
But, if you add a variable in the middle (before 300 blocks) the delay starts there only. :neutral_face:
A great delay about 10-15 seconds appears just after 3 or 4+ variables.

Plus, I have one more thing to point too.
When u are in the blocks area, (assume that u have 150+ blocks) & u have just added a block and want to switch to the next tab of Chrome; Returning to the Thunkable Blocks tab, we’ve to wait 5-10 seconds for the blocks screen to appear.
The blocks screen turns white when u switch the tab on chrome.
But, It does not happens when u open your desired tab on a new chrome window :smile:

Hope I explained good :slight_smile:
Thanks! :smile:

I think it’s just a general delay that gets worse and worse as the app becomes bigger and bigger.

Pretty much every time you do anything; like renaming, changing a value, changing a name, moving a block and as @kartik_old said if you initialize, or do anything with a variable, like renaming, it gets even slower.

It’s like the system takes time to rewrite the position of the blocks and probably the entire code I presume.

I feel that a good move could be to automatically save and compile only every once in a while or when the live test button is pressed, i also understand that it is indeed useful to have completely automatic autosave, but for now it’s too slow and kills the work flow.

I’d prefer it to be like, I work fluent and then take 20 seconds to compile aand test what I’ve changed, if possible.

And btw, I feel that the live companion app too got slower

1 Like

Thanks for the update @maxb, I’m trying to recreate here on my end, but without any real success. Running chrome with 20+ tabs open, screen-recording and have a couple of apps streaming in the background too.

This test app with 30 variables seems pretty responsive to me (and works even better when I’m not screen recording)

What sort of speeds are you getting if you go fast.com?

1 Like

Hello there, @domhnallohanlon, thanks for response. :slight_smile:

Have u tried with 20+ app variables? It works ridiculously slow on my side… :sleepy:
Plus, with 20+ app variables, I have 300+ blocks…

I have 4.0 mb/ps…

Thanks!

Maybe it’s cause you only have one screen, variables work on every screen and pass the value.

I usually am on a 20mb adsl, but also on faster connections I still have the issue.

1 Like

Mine is not that slow but still…

2 Likes

Neither 4 Mbps, 20 Mbps nor 100Mbps says much about how fast you communicate with the server, what’s your latency guys

Works well here, does anyone have a bigger project I can test, with 1000+ blocks

/Boban

1 Like

How should I test it? But I don’t think it’s a connection problem.

Yes I didn’t test his app, I did it now and I saw that his app’s screens don’t have many blocks so it’s fast enough and also @actech is smart and used some ‘tricks’ to make the block part smoother.

My app has 12 screens and many complicate passages. Maybe I’ll link my project to @domhnallohanlon so he can test it by himself

1 Like

Please do, happy to test it for you.

1 Like

Hope this works for something!

1 Like

this one too!

Also when I create a Variable and delete it , the variable still showing in the variables componets as if still extist

I created a new project and this same errors happens in the project im working on

2 Likes

I have a suitable screen. Try working with the scrAnyComponent screen (1074 blocks). This screen just killed the whole project (crash when running in Live on any of my devices)

https://x.thunkable.com/projects/5d33041f8c18906229461dad/project/properties/designer/

2 Likes