[Solved] Is there some reason why my blocks might start to lag?

Good job (I think ^^)

Probably @Mark is interested in this more technical stuff?

3 Likes

All I see is complaints like yours. I wonder are they currently fixing this. because if so it would be great to get an update on it.

it is a problem a lot of thunkers face, and probably will face permanently. I donā€™t see there being a solution made for this any time soon.

1 Like

This needs fixed over anything

1 Like

After the appearance of ā€œAnyā€ blocks, I noticed that they also slow down the work. It turns out an interesting situation. - ā€œanyā€ blocks allow you to get additional functionality, but this is due to a noticeable decrease in speed. So, you need to reduce the number of ā€œanyā€ blocks in the project. But for this you need to further increase the functionality, the request of which I did.

But here another problem may arise. If the blocks have excellent functionality, then many will start using them instead of simple component blocks and then the low performance of the engine will again become a bottleneck.

How to avoid this? I donā€™t see a solution yet, because even simple screens used can have low speed. For a fast ride need a powerful motor.

3 Likes

Do you think they should prioritise fixing lag over new features?

1 Like

Of course, The platform is powerful enough to let you create powerful apps, with the create, clone and delete blocks now more than before.

Itā€™s new though and there is a lot of work ahead.

2 Likes

If someone needs a heavy page, then here is a good example (1800 blocks). Due to the very slow work, I cannot realize what is needed in it.

https://x.thunkable.com/projects/5d45606df28de0073d4f36f6/project/properties/designer

2 Likes

@domhnallohanlon have you tried my project?

I presume that you encountered the same slowness that I encountered?

1 Like

Any news on this topic?

Itā€™s very frustrating that to change 3 words it takes 5 minutes almost, itā€™s a big waste of time and with the any blocks components it got even worse :frowning:

2 Likes

Yes, I ask to the staff of thunkable and they told me that it will be an update soon about this problem in the mean time did you try what I published about to reduce the delay ? it helps to me I had delay like for 5 seconds and after a trick with any components now I have 2 seconds delay

1 Like

Unfortunately, the update that I was implying was imminent didnā€™t actually fix the slowness issues :frowning: . Consequently, weā€™ve had to dig deeper to figure out what is going on and itā€™s going to take a little while longer. This time I wonā€™t give any time estimates until Iā€™m more confident, but rest assured that we are working on it.

-Mark

4 Likes

I found a temporaly solution that works for me so Iā€™m a bit calm right now :rofl:

Thanks

I was going to try it today since the cloning of the different components with relative image proved to be too slow in loading the images even if I load them in the app

I think Thunkable x is cool it lets you make app for iOS and android but the lag is unbearable I have to wait 20 min. Exact 20 min for it to start my block screen then for every movement I do I have to wait 10 min additionally I wanna do so many creative things with my app but how can I when the lag is so so much I actually wanna cry when I realise I have to go back in blocks section to fix something I hate the lag so much

1 Like

Hi,

I totally agree with u, @jxbclothes69gc7! :+1:

:star_struck:

My Case -

The lag is unbearable I have to wait 20 ~10-15 minutes for the Blocksā€™ Section Then for every slightest movement I do, I have to wait 10 min additionallyā€¦ :pensive:

I make BIG apps. My screens have ~900+ blocks sometimesā€¦ when navigating from Designer :arrow_right: Blocks, I have to wait 10+ minutes for the blocks to respondā€¦

In my chrome, (everytime when opening blocks of a big screen) I get -

x.thunkable is not responding. :point_right:t5: almost 2-3 times.

The lag starts from 150+ blocks. (~ 5-10 seconds).
As the blocks increase, the time increases gradually.

This is a big problem, & thatā€™s the main thing I donā€™t like / hate about Thunkable X.
10 minutes is a big time differenceā€¦ :slightly_frowning_face:

I also asked this same type of question in the community onceā€¦
I didnā€™t get a response from Thunkable Team regarding any fixesā€¦

@Thunkable_Staff, Itā€™s my humble request, Please look over thisā€¦ :pleading_face:

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have used Kodular for a bit and the UI is similar to Thunkable X (Kodular is Android only). I am unsure if Thunkable X uses blockly interface, but Kodular experienced the same lag issues sometimes, though not as bad. It is a limitation of the platform that they use, and is definitely not something that is easy to fix. I am sure it is on their priority to fix and has been for a while. It just takes some time to get these issues flattened out. In the mean time, you could try learning to code in a different language, like python. You can make some pretty fun projects and it is easy to get started with making GUIā€™s, that run on Windows, Mac and Linux. I think Android even supports python!

2 Likes

:joy:

Since you learned Thunkable X in 3 months, I guarantee that you will not require more than 6 months for it :wink:

@eoinparkinson, you are right with Python. :+1: But, Making apps with python is very tough :sweat_smile: ā€¦ Coding with Kiwi, it will take u very long timeā€¦

(suggesting, I had experience.)

Thanks!

I beg to differ. I would not make mobile applications with python, but for desktop applications python is pretty useful. And it is in my opinion the easiest language to learn as it is very English based. And it kind of feels like Thunkable with the wording.

1 Like

Kodular is similar to Thunkable Classic, to the point aia files can even be exchanged requiring limited alterations to run.
But it is different to X, and does only produce apk files that are compatible with Android. I suppose that Kodular has the same issue of lack of cooperation from Apple, and am unaware of them being able to produce code that is iOS compatible.

1 Like

If you means something that will have the logic ā€˜tilesā€™ approach to build functions and target iOS as well as Android, I do not think there is anything at this point in time.

If you mean ā€˜cross platformā€™ but can overlook the code writing style, then Enyo ( https://enyojs.com/ ) is essentially based on JavaScript, and Google Flutter ( https://flutter.dev/ ) has the app written using a JavaScript like language named Dart.

Then you also have Facebookā€™s React Native (at least partly JavaScript), Microsoftā€™s Xamarin (with code in C#) and Apacheā€™s Cordova (formerly known as PhoneGap) also essentially JavaScript. In all cases, you have to write code.
And deciding which one to pick among those is not easy.

1 Like