Show/Hide vs Screens: how to decide?

Hi everyone,

I built one app using just one screen with lots of show and hide actions to imitate the new page effect. I found this not too hard to do in concept but I found that the “blocks view” became very cluttered and difficult to manage as the app grew. This is one way “screens” are superior because the blocks are more manageable when segregated across screens.

However, after reading some messages on here, it seemed that lots of people were using multiple screens without any problems, so I went back to using screens. My current app has 7 screens 5 of which do not have many components or blocks. But the app is laggy and slow, which is pretty disappointing after the time I’ve spent on it.

Can anyone advise me how to decide whether to go with show/hide or screens? Obviously, that screens exist suggests that multiple screens cannot be a complete sin, but how to know if you have too many? Can 7 be too many?

Hey @Rhina :wave:

In #thunkable-cross there is no limit on the number of screens you can have. There was a suggested limit of 10 screens with our old platform, due to performance limitations but that old platform has been wound down and there is no such restriction with the current, cross-platform, version of Thunkable.

1 Like

domhnallohanlon, thank you. That is a very welcome answer.

Could you also, tell me some of the mistakes to avoid so that apps don’t run slow.
I have been quite frustrated with this. Is there a block limit? I know I don’t block
very efficiently because I don’t know many of the tricks of coding. I tend to use
a lot of blocks and I know there must be a better way but just simply don’t know
how to improve myself.

Good question. Im going to follow this for better performance of my app

No problem at all @Rhina - I’m not sure about your app specifically, but in general you’ll want to make use of functions as much as possible and try separate presentation (the UI) from data. Here’s a tutorial on how to do this:

For what’s worth, my app is using approximately 30 screens and it works as fast as if it had 10. There are so many things which could slow down your app, it ultimately comes down to testing, optimizing, learning over and over.