Same Code not working on different/the same phones

I’m an engineering teacher using thunkable as an alternative way to teach engineering mathematics. I used to use App Inventor 2 for this project but moved to thunkable recently because of the cross platform compatibility. Right now I have 2 issues:

1. Certain programming blocks appear broken, specifically the mean/standard deviation of a list. The function reads the list as a single string of numbers rather than individual data points (e.g. 12345 instead of 1,2,3,4,5). What’s odd is that about 10% of my students haven’t had this issue.

2. Even with basic math functions, I’m getting wildly different results. I can have 2 students with the same code but different phones (both iphone 7s with the same updates I believe) and the code will only function properly on one of them. The program is a simple mean calculation based on text entry data points (in which the keyboards are set to numeric entry only).

I wasn’t sure if these were just quirks of the platform because it’s so new or if there’s some nuanced part of thunkable I haven’t recognized yet. Not sure if anyone else has experienced these bugs. Please let me know!

Try dislocking the blocks and reinserting them again before each install :slight_smile:

Nice day !

There is a bug where numbers coming from strings (outputs of textboxes) are treated as strings instead of numbers, which can lead to the strange behavior that you’re seeing.

Until it gets fixed in the system, if you multiply the output of the textbox by 1, it should work. Sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like