Question about working with images on cloud -- the optimal way to do this?

Hi there,

I’m currently looking for the best way for proceeding with images on cloud (with Thunkable X apps). My goal is that a user(s) could add a cloud image, as well as replace it and delete it. Currently the Cloudinary+Airtable combo seems to be the suggested way for proceeding with cloud images, however, it makes it impossible to delete pictures, and replacing them is also awkward if not worse. Adding works well.

Now that the dev team is developing the data viewer component and it will contain edit / delete functions as well, I was wondering if this was the best path for me to proceed. In other words, should I somehow rely on this new data viewer and its development–that it will containt editing/deleting cloud photos and then use these possibilities? Or, should I wait for an update for the Media DB component, which I’ve now been using for Cloudinary? Or, completely alternatively, is there some way around all this and a solution with current tools for what I’m looking for–for example, in practice, a possiblity for adding/replacing/deleting pictures only in Airtable (which seems unlikely)?

I’d appreciate your take on this. What would be the best way to proceed, particularly considering the upcoming features that are now in development for Thunkable X.

Thank you!

Best, Heikki

1 Like

Hey @ethosworkfi can you tell us a bit more about what you’re developing and who your intended market is?

From a first reading it sound like the Data Viewer might be the best way to go.

There are no immediate plans to update the MediaDB, but you could potentially work with lists of images and edit/delete the paths in the list as an alternative.

Hi, thanks for your reply! And sorry it’s taken a while for me to write back.

So basically the idea is that a user could upload a picture and if need be, change / delete it. This is intended for an app that lets people to look for / rent spaces, so the images are for that. I was a little confused as to how I could do this via the Data Viewer as it seems that it currently doesn’t support deleting pictures (but soon might?). Also, I didn’t really understand the idea regarding the lists. Could you specify a little?

Furthermore, I came across an idea to use the Web API component to delete pictures on Cloudinary and this even actually worked for iOS, however not for Android. A friend of mine suggested this and as we noticed this weird disparity, he opened a ticket here: https://github.com/thunkable/thunkable-issues/issues/562

Any ideas what would be the best route to proceed now? I’d also appreciate if you could be a little clearer regarding your suggestions as I partially didn’t understand what you meant. Perhaps this was due to my Thunkable skills still evolving. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Best, Heikki