Performing a VLOOKUP in LocalDB

Hi @domhnallohanlon is this project available to view?
I’m trying to implement a VLookup and it seems this may be a possible solution??

Thanks

Hi Thunkers,

I know I’m not the first to ask this question, but has anyone found a way to do a VLookup from a db where you only have a reference or a value that is the key or row number?

To put some meat on the bones, similar to uses cases listed above, I want to pull 1 or more rows of data based on a selection made by the user. The user clicks button which has a key associated with it, this secondary key is stored in table “X” but the value is also the primary key in a different table “Y” from where I am trying to pull the rest of the row data.
Doing a search for the key in table Y is straightforward enough, but as its not directly linked to any 1 single row, I am struggling to think of a way to assign the row id so I am able to extract the data I require.

Help?? Or am I over thinking this is there a simple solution??

1 Like

Check this

https://x.thunkable.com/projectPage/5fb9fb1dbfeb240011084d78

1 Like

Thanks as always @muneer I’ll check it out!!!

1 Like

Please, I’d like to know the best strategy to do a vlookup in Local datasource, as I’m using mostly local data source not local database

Here’s an example…

Project: Thunkable

There’s an easier way to do this if you use a Simple List, as I did. You can just use the green index block as the row id. But assuming you don’t want to use a Simple List to input the lookup value – for example, you may prefer a Text Input – then the method in my screenshot and project will work. Just replace the green item block with the Text Input’s text block.

3 Likes

@tatiang a big thank from the other side of the world

@tatiang
Here’s my blocks, I’m not really sure what is going on as the labels disappears completely after executing the code.

@tatiang
those also are not working.

One issue is that the create row block does not pause the code while it runs. So if you want the [set Label’s Text" blocks to run after the [create row] block finishes, then you need to move them to the “do” section of that block.

@tatiang
not working either,

https://x.thunkable.com/copy/1e6858564fe4aad4c420eac1961192c9
if possible,please check the blocks

@tatiang
Finally I get it, this one works perfectly.

@tatiang I’m really grateful for your generous help.

1 Like