New to thunkable, trying to hire someone to finish my app

HI, I am new to thunkable. I am not sure if am aloud to reach out and see if I can hire someone to finish my app. If not, please let me know and I will delete post. If someone is interested in helping me out, please let me know.

Thank you,
John

1 Like

Hi John, welcome to Thunkable!

I don’t see anything against asking for paid help in the Community Guidelines.

Can you say a bit more about what type of app you’re making and what type of help you need?

1 Like

It is the “Coffee Roasting Development Timer” I have it up live for iPhone users but it has a bug and I would like to add to it. I paid someone to make the app for me and he used thunkable to make it. I had a developer say he would help me out for free but he used xcode and didn’t know how to help me with the app being made with thunkable. So I figured I would reach out and see if I could get someone to help me out with the bug and adding to it. The bug is when the app is in use and the phone goes to sleep or the user switches to a new app, my app stops and the user has to start it again. Here is a link to a video describing the app. https://youtu.be/GphnsVVlviw
Here is link that shows what I would like added to the app. I have an android developer working on it but it is taking a long time to complete. https://youtu.be/17wYpn_622I
Thank you!

1 Like

your app is amazing i did not get what error are you getting can you explain more

I have a friend who would probably love to have that on his Android phone!

Do you happen to know if it was made with Thunkable Classic (older version) or Thunkable X (current version)? Or approximately when the developer you hired started coding it? I ask because there are potentially more people here who could help if it’s the current version. I don’t know that for sure but it seems that way since Thunkable Classic was retired.

Do you have access to the project/code itself or is it in someone else’s Thunkable account?

1 Like

Oh nice. It will be a good app once it’s all updated.
I am not sure. How would I tell? The app is about a year old now.
Yes I have access to the code. My account.

1 Like

The user starts the timer on the app. The timer has to keep going for functions on the app to work. The problem is that when the phone goes to sleep or if the user opens another app while they are on mine and the timer is going, the timer will stop and the user has to start all over. This isn’t helpful while roasting coffee because you can’t just stop a roast once you start. The app needs to be running in the background when the phone goes to sleep or if the user opens another app.

1 Like

Are you able to access the project from http://x.thunkable.com (not http://app.thunkableclassic.com)? And if so, does the interface look similar to this, which is Thunkable X?

1 Like

Yes and yes

2 Likes

I’m not sure I know the answer to your question but I’ll take a look when I have a chance and see if I might be able to figure out a fix.

1 Like

Awesome! I will make a video tomorrow and post a link so you can see exactly what I am talking about. Thank you thank you thank you!

1 Like

Hey John!
To my knowledge, this is a limitation rather than a bug. Here is a quick video explaining a work around I did for a similar app about a year ago:

3 Likes

Good video, @darren. Background timers are a frequently-requested feature and it’s great to have a method for calculating this. I created a similar algorithm in a different developer tool (to make a virtual pet!) and it was quite complicated to figure out. Nice to have an example in Thunkable now.

2 Likes

Wow! Awesome video. Well all of that is beyond me. I know nothing about using thunkable to make an app. I hired someone to do that part for me. Seems like it would be an easy fix for you. I can venmo you money to fix that part. How much would you charge?

Would you still like me to make a video to explain it better? Have you had a chance to take a look at it?
Have a great weekend,
John

Up to you! I was waiting for a video but it sounded like the issue was mainly about offline timers and if @darren’s on it, you’re in good hands. But yeah, feel free to share a video and I may have some thoughts about fixes.

Here is the video describing the bug in the app.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Yeah, so that’s definitely the issue @darren explains in his video.

It’s likely that your last developer set up your timer like this:

When screen/app starts:
     Forever
          Set timer to timer + 1
          Wait 1 second

That works great if the app is open and active (in the foreground). But it stops counting when the app is not active.

So instead, you need something that compares the current time to a set time (which in Thunkable and other coding platforms is known as “Number of seconds since 1970”). That way when you re-open the app, it still calculates based on a set time that changes as time elapses.

Anyway, and developer worth their salt should be able to set this up for you.

4 Likes