iOS App Tracking Issues

Hello, I would like to ask you for a little help with a case of an app I am working on. I was able to publish the app on Google Play from the first attempt, but in the App Store I have already submitted 9 times and they keep rejecting it for the same reason.

My app is for food delivery from a restaurant. The data requested from the user is:
-Name or nickname
-Phone number
-Email
-Address for delivery

My app uses OneSignal for notifications WITHOUT geolocation.

It does not use a location sensor, it uses the entered address to do geocoding using the Google Maps API or reverse geocoding to obtain the address from the API by tapping on a coordinate on the map

Apple’s problem has to do with App Tracking Transparency, which, according to me, I already added:

TUD: “The user’s data is used to fulfill their orders. OneSignal services are used to send eventual notifications with restaurant promotions. Google map is used to calculate coordinates (geocoding) using the address entered by the user. The data that the user provides are destroyed when they finish serving it” (This TUD is written in Spanish, I don’t know if it influences Apple’s decision)

About the string of the question to the user about app tracking:
-Question: Allow Ensaladas del RĂ­o to track your data to track your order?
-Title: We need to use the data you share in this app (name, phone number and email) to be able to attend to your orders. We will never share this data or use it for any other purpose.

The question here is: Is it correct to use the Thunkable Alert component to ask the app tracking question?

The next question would be: If it is also correct for my app to handle the user’s response like this: If the user says YES, the app continues operating normally. If you say NO, some parts of the app where data is required are blocked. This is right?

Thanks a lot

You cannot use an alert as a substitute for the app tracking prompt that is generated by the OS.

Can you remove the parenthesis around geocoding and republish this? Unfortunately, we have noticed issues when symbols or special characters are used in the tracking description that can cause Apple not to recognize it.

It may be true that you are deleting the information that users enter into your app, but OneSignal is collecting information when users opt in to push notifications. You may want to consider changing the language to disclose that in-app activity is tracked to deliver relevant messaging at relevant times for the user.

Thanks for answer

@matt_conroy
You cannot use an alert as a substitute for the app tracking prompt that is generated by the OS.

I understand, so that alert appears by default without having to configure it in my app, correct?

And when does it appear? Well, in Apple’s messages they say that they cannot find where the question about app tracking is.

@matt_conroy
You may want to consider changing the language to disclose that in-app activity is tracked to deliver relevant messaging at relevant times for the user.

I don’t quite understand what you mean by changing the language. Do you mean sending the TUD in English?

So if the user clicks that they do not accept the app tracking, what is the app supposed to do? Disable access to areas where information is requested?

Yes, with Push Notifications it will appear as soon as the end user opens the app for the first time. It is generated via the OS and will include the tracking description you have entered.

Just remove the parentheses in your current tracking description. I was getting ahead of myself here.

Nothing in the app itself will change, the user will just not receive any push notifications.

Thanks, but still being rejected.

They said they can’t find where the request is, so is not showing the request.

Where it appears???

There are two locations where you can set your Tracking Usage Description:

Project Settings

|100%xauto

Publishing Wizard (This modal is part of the iOS publishing process.)

|563pxxauto

Did you include it in both of those places before you sent it to App Store Connect?

Yes, both description fields filled

Please resend the build again. As we mentioned previously, remove all special characters (e.g. apostrophes, parentheses, etc.)

It should look like this when you send it:
User data such as name or nickname and telephone and email and address are used to fulfill orders. OneSignal services are used to send eventual notifications with restaurant promotions. Google map is used to calculate coordinates through geocoding, using the address entered by the user.

Already sent without special characters but Ok I will do it.

Do i must mention on TUD that i use Airtable too with the data sources to store delivery orders??

The problem is not the description. Is that the alert of asking the user is not appearing

If your app contains AdMob, Location Sensor, Push Notifications, or Web Viewer components then you are required to have a UTUD. Please note: you do not need to include a permission string if your app contains a Web Viewer that only accesses a local HTML file.

How can I set a User Tracking Usage Description string in my Thunkable Project?

There are two places where you can set your Tracking Usage Description:

1. Project Settings
  2. Publishing Wizard

What should I say in my Tracking Usage Description?

If your app does not contain AdMob, Location Sensor, Push Notifications, or a Web Viewer then you should leave the Tracking Usage Description field blank. Do not enter a string explaining that you are not tracking anything. If there is any text in this box Apple will think you are tracking your end users.

The requirements for a UTUD vary depending on what components your project uses. If your app contains AdMob, Location Sensor, Push Notifications, or a Web Viewer then you will be required to inform your user why the app is requesting permission for user or device tracking.

AdMob

AdMob can use your end users’ location to show them relevant ads. Your end users need to consent to their location being used to show them relevant ads.

Example: This identifier will be used to deliver personalized ads to you.

Push Notifications

OneSignal has the option of collecting user data. You must include this information in your Tracking Usage Description.

Example: In-app activity is tracked to deliver relevant messaging at relevant times for the user

Web Viewer

Most websites collect or utilize some kind of user data. This includes but isn’t limited to: username, password, real name, medical issue, etc. Your end users need to consent to this data being tracked.
​
Note: you do not need to include a permission string if your Web Viewer only accesses a local HTML file.

Example: This app accesses X website. Your data may be shared with this website to facilitate functionality.

Location Sensor*

Your end user’s location is sensitive data. If you include a Location Sensor and transmit the users location to an external service for any purpose, you must tell your end user exactly why you need to track their location.

Example: This app uses your location to show you information relevant to your area.

Open Link Blocks

Most websites collect some kind of user data. Your end users need to consent to this data being tracked. It is your responsibility to identify and account for any data being tracked.

Example: This app opens links in browsers that in turn ask for location information or mic access to provide a better end user experience.

This is all in our Docs, too.

Thanks for answer. But according to Apple’s message the problem is not the description. Is that the alert of asking the user is not appearing.

My apologies, I misunderstood their question in the screenshot. I will take a look at this further.

Thanks, let me know if you know something

Any news?

Hello @centrosjr Thank you for reporting this issue. We have flagged it to our engineering team and will provide an update as soon as possible.

1 Like

Hi @centrosjr ,

some weeks ago I had the same problem, my app also got rejected several times. In the end my solution was to tell the staff from apple that the dialog does not appear during app-start! My app contains a webviewer (which means, the app needs a tracking usage description), but the webviewer is not a central part of my app: it only appears -in my case- under a menu entry in “settings” where the webviewer displays a webpage with some information. That means: when apple said that my app does not ask for allowance I had to tell them that this dialog appears only when entering this special menue entry. In my case, it does not pop up during app start!

Fun fact: I got the response from apple that my app still does not show up the tracking usage, but when I told then to activate the tracking usage dialog on their iPhones my app got accepted :slight_smile: Maybe the person at apple forgot to activate it on their phone? See for yourself: on iOS go to “settings” → “Data privacy & security” → “Tracking” and activate the slider “allow apps to ask for tracking” (the messages may slightly differ).

Hello @centrosjr @Michael_Rogulla
Thank you again for your patience. I would like to let you know that we have now officially released a fix for this issue on iOS.

Please keep in mind that you may need to do a hard refresh of your browser for the changes to take effect in your project.

If your downloaded or published app is affected by this bug, you will need to re-download or re-publish your app for these changes to take effect.

​Please let us know if you have any issues