I need help making a census app and pet tracker

Yep, those are latitude and longitude numbers. You may want to do some research about what those look like and how they are used. It’s actually kind of fascinating!

No, I’m not talking about those, I’m talking about the green ‘location’ block that comes along with latitude and longitude in the Location Sensor component. Yes, lat and long is really fascinating.

Oh, sorry. The green location block has certain data. I forget where I found the format but I just looked for it and found this example: https://docs.thunkable.com/objects. At the very bottom of the page is a screenshot with tiny font but it does show the contents of the location block.

So I should generate JSON from the location?

Yes, set up the blocks like that example so you can view the JSON. Then, it’s just a matter of parsing the JSON using the object property blocks.

Personally, I wouldn’t use the green location block at all for your project. I think it’s safe to ignore it. :slight_smile:

It’s mostly useful for determining which direction someone is heading and what speed they are moving at. If you were trying to make Waze, for example, you’d need that data.

Sure, thanks! I was just curious because it would take a lot of work to figure out the location from the latitude and longitude for the animal centre.

Yes and no. You can feed those two numbers into the Google Places API or Reverse Geocoding (I think I used the OpenWeatherMap API for that) and get back info about nearby businesses, city names, etc.

It does require familiarity with Web APIs and JSON. Speaking from experience, it took me many hours to figure those out but they’ve been so handy and powerful now that I know how to use them.

I built an air quality app that gives you the air quality for the nearest location (closest to you or by searching for any location in the world) using Web APIs and various JSON data.

Thanks! That air quality app sounds super interesting and helpful. Though I’ve no experience with APIs and JSON. The Reverse Geocoding seems to be just what I need! If you’ve used it before, could you please give me some tips on adding it and usage?

I haven’t used the Reverse Geocoding from Google but I did use the OpenWeatherMap API to locate a city based on lat/lon pair.

In general, a Web API will require that you sign up for an authentication key. Calling the API to get data is often free or inexpensive until you have many (sometimes hundreds, sometimes thousands, sometimes way more) of calls. Each API service is different.

Once you have an authentication key, you can look at some of the example calls they provide. If you can figure out a url that contains your key, the lat/lon values you need (or sample ones), and a couple other things based on the example, you can put that in a web browser and get back any of the values the API provides (e.g. temperature, wind speed, city name, etc.) using JSON object/property blocks in Thunkable.

But the first step is to get it working in a browser.

Oh, thanks! Sounds tricky

Cloudinary link :white_check_mark:
SMS getting sent :white_check_mark:
Recognizing empty inputs :white_check_mark:
Finding care centers nearby :negative_squared_cross_mark:
Not duplicating reports of same animal :negative_squared_cross_mark:
Any other ideas for improvement? :smiley:
Also, is it possible for the user to send a WhatsApp to a unknown number? Or can you only choose the number with SMS?

Also, can the users send a WhatsApp to a number the device will choose, or is that possible only with SMS?

The Weather API videos here are a great place to start:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB89L9PPGIry11IQq0dyVG_aK6kUMHP1F

1 Like

Thanks very much! Will check these out.

I just came across this Hour of Code video tutorial at https://blog.thunkable.com/thunkable-hour-of-code-2019-d4e5efd63179:

2. An app that allows your users to submit reports about potholes, broken lamps or dog poop to a central database (click here).

Hi! Thanks for the second video, it’s helped a lot. The first link is going to medium.com and saying 404, not working. I think the link’s broken.

As soon as the app opens, it’s crashing (the critical error, it’s embarrassing message). I live tested it once, it was working, then I live tested it again without changing any code, and it starting crashing. I even downloaded the apk, but that didn’t help. Any ideas on what happened?

Sorry, there was a colon on the end that shouldn’t have been there. This should work but all you really need is that second video.

https://blog.thunkable.com/thunkable-hour-of-code-2019-d4e5efd63179

There’s no way to troubleshoot your code without seeing your blocks.

Sorry, completely forgot to take a screenshot, will send some,