How to Create an Overlap effect in Thunkable

One trend that we’re seeing a lot at the moment, in both Android and iOS design, is the use of rounded corners.

From the community to the app stores, there are examples of overlapping elements that look like cards sitting one stacked atop the other.

Border Radii

The effect is really easy to achieve in Thunkable, because you have the ability to specific the radius of each corner of a component.

The find the BorderRadii property, click on the Advanced tab, and then open the Styling options.

In the example above, the white column has radii of 40 px while the yellow label is using 20px radii.

5 Likes

Yes. I’m always equip this to reduce many of the screen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @domhnallohanlon! :muscle::muscle::muscle:

I was actually trying to figure this one out 2 nights ago and was unsuccessful.

2 Likes

Hey,

This looked cool so I wanted to have a play with it - if anybody wants to utilise my design the share link is here: Thunkable

4 Likes

Hi, @jacob1! :wave:

The design looks pretty cool :+1: :+1:
I would recommend one thing, instead of a solid white background on the “New York” label, try a translucent one. (Ex. a=40).

Thanks! :blush:

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback @kartik14 I have it set at 0.76, but I will adjust to be more transparent :grinning:

1 Like

Will it be possible to blur the background and other components except the card? Example of iPhone screen below:

we do not have something like this yet.

hopefully this could be a cool future feature. Can you add this to the github feature request?

2 Likes

@jared

Can’t we do it with

• A column with 100% height
  • another column overlapping it completely, with an alpha-color code
  • A normal card over it

Thanks! :blush:

1 Like

The alpha setting doesn’t blur an image. it only affects the opaqueness of the image/componenet.

you could use the webviewer, an HTML file with a photo, and some CSS layered on top. Tryit Editor v3.7

2 Likes

hi to everyone!, i just wanted to share this overlap effect:

https://x.thunkable.com/projects/6227927d07fa57067e496c78/bb5519d5-c141-4f71-b45c-13e25061b879/designer

Have fun!

2 Likes

Looks good! Can you explain how you made this?

Edit: it looks like the negative margin value is the key to this. I didn’t even know you could use negative numbers for those properties.

image image

4 Likes

yes!, you got it!. That is the key for the effect: The negative margin value for the column which is inside the other column.

3 Likes

Awesome. I’ve created a button along the bottom of apps that sticks out from the bottom row/footer but always used Z positioning which is kind of a pain because it’s relative to the edge of the screen, not the component. But your method is relative to the component so it should be simple.

Here’s a demo:

https://x.thunkable.com/copy/a51a326c0affce35bcd55fc77a477350

4 Likes

This is all just a drag and drop operation in DnD :wink:

I quite like the drop shadows too!

https://x.thunkable.com/projects/62287fba5a15ac0749523b6d/1a6f8184-de28-4cd9-ab70-b0c0df0c806a/designer

6 Likes