How do I test my app like this user?

I’ve been watching a lot of Thunkable videos from this YouTuber and learning quite a bit. What I can’t seem to figure out is how to test my app like he does. It looks like he has the actual app running on his iPhone but when I try to test with the Thunkable testing app I get some boiler plate options from Thunkable and the layout is not correct. Also, the app does not always update right away so I’m not sure what has to happen in the background to push an app update. I’m using the free version right now and not the pro so I’m not sure if that has something to do with this?

Here is a link to the video set to exactly what I’m trying to do.

Thank you!

4 Likes

First of all welcome @gene.arnold9d
Second web-preview Will not be the same as a preview on the phone.
That The app does not update right away is normal.

I think he’s using screen mirroring. So the app is running on his phone, but he’s displaying the phone screen on his computer screen.

2 Likes

But than what form of the app is he running on his phone? I think you’re correct but I can’t seem to get my app to look that way on my phone.

2 Likes

Here’s where @darren discusses it:

I agree, my Thunkable Live view would have a header across the top. That header is much less noticable on my android tablet than my iphone (which also has a footer - ugh), but it is definitely there. It could be that Darren is downloading APKs and running them? Anyway, I’ve tagged him, and maybe he’ll be kind enough to reply. :slight_smile: Hi @darren ! Love your videos!

7 Likes

I didn’t know he was in this community. @darren your a rock star my friend! Your videos have launched my work and interest in Thunkable! Any help you can offer would be wonderful!

4 Likes

Hey @catsarisky and @gene.arnold9d :wave:,

This is a mystery indeed. But here is what I think.

I’ve gone through many iterations of casting the app to the screen. In the video noted above I believe I was live recording my iPhone screen and desktop screen and headshot at the same time through Screenflow. But Screenflow is only for Mac and since I built my own PC, I needed a new solution which is what I cover in this video.

I assume you are talking about the garbage Thunkable adds to the top and the bottom on the iPhone app? This has not always been there. So I think the answer is I filmed this tutorial before that existed.

You can sometimes force the refresh by clicking the “Live Test” button in the browser, but the most reliable way I have found is to hard close the Live Test app and reopen it.

:blush: I’m quiet these days working on other things… Enjoy!

5 Likes

first thing I noticed

You built your own PC? That’s cool!

3 Likes

I love Screenflow! I use it for all of the tutorial videos I make for my fellow teachers and my students.

3 Likes

Thank you Darren. I’m going to have to reach out to Thunkable for a little more info on this. I can’t seem to find a way to test my app properly on either my iPhone or Android phones without fully publishing them. I’m sure this is not the case and I’m just missing something. Sure hope you continue your Thunkable work, it has been a huge kick starter for me and I thank you!

Gene, I find live testing with the thunkable live app to be mostly useful, as long as I confirm occasionally that downloaded apps work. You certainly don’t need to publish to test - the download function works well.

What’s not working for you about live testing?

1 Like

Mainly the layout since the testing app has the Thunkable header when testing on Android and header / footer when testing on iPhone. So how can you really tell if controls fit properly with those added header / footer areas added?

That’s not the case for downloaded apps. If you Live Test in the Thunkable Live app, you’ll see the Thunkable headers required by Apple. If you download the project to your device (via an email link sent by Thunkable), no headers will appear.

Please correct me if I’m wrong here. If I download the app but go make a change to the project, I would need to download the app again to see that change correct? That would make sense to me but I’m just confirming so I can understand how to best setup my testing. Thank you!

1 Like

That’s right, so you do most of your testing in Live and download occasionally to confirm.

Thank you!

1 Like

Sure thing! Since you’re designing for more than one screen size anyway, that Thunkable Live takes a bite out of the screen is probably not the end of the world - although I /do/ wish it’d adjust the screen height to match the /actual/ real estate available.

3 Likes

Sorry i will try nice money app but my mind is so distrubing in my life

@praveensharmarabelkp Sorry to hear that. I hope you’re getting support.

2 Likes