How do I edit a stock Thunkable template

Hi, I am using one of the stock Thunkable templates (see below)

The default text doesn’t seem to be want to be removed (see below)

I have tried using blocks such as “visible” and setting text to blank to see if it can be shifted that way but no joy was forthcoming. :unamused:

My blocks:

The only way I found to change the text was by mapping it to a column in my Google Source Sheet which is most certainly “not” what I want. I wish for my images to be displayed without any description below. Can this be done?

Andos.

1 Like

The condition is wrong unless you only want to check that the record exists.

Can you explain why there is Data Viewer List3 and AirlData Viewer List3 in the same block?

The yellow banded block is correct and should hide the description if the row ID is correct.

Hi @muneer, I have decided to start again as I got very confused after a while. I have removed all conditions as I do not to check that a record exists.

There reason there were two DVL’s was because I renamed the existing one and forgot to change the blocks (Doh!)

Theoretically, my blocks now (pictured below) should remove “Description” from my app but it doesn’t.

Screenshot 2022-02-20 10.25.39

Also, I have left the “row_id” blank because I don’t know what to put insert there. I have also removed all “initialize app variable” blocks because I am now not sure if I need them.

This should be simple so why am I finding it hard?

Also, the text colours for the Title and Subtitle wouldn’t change when I use their respective colour blocks.

Andos.

1 Like

You will need to tell your code which exact row you want to change,

[Note]
When using the tables directly, you can refer to rows either by the internal ID or by the position (order) number in the table.

However, when using DVL, you can only use the internal ID and it will not work with the simple order number (1,2,3,4,…)

Hi @muneer, is there not a way to create an “app variable” or “function” to remove the Description from all records in the app?

Andos.

1 Like

Hi @muneer, I’ve just had an idea. Would it not be easier for me to create a blank column in my Source Google Sheet and then map it to the Description?

Would this work?

Andos.

1 Like

Hi @muneer, I know it’s not the professional way to do things but adding the “Blank” column in the Source Google Sheet has removed the default template Description.

However, I still have the problem of changing the text colour of the Title and Subtitles. :pensive:

I’m guessing that also relates to telling the code which row I need to change. What do I enter in the “row id” space? (below)

Screenshot 2022-02-20 11.48.55

Andos.

1 Like

See this demo which should help you to understand how to manage the changes.
https://x.thunkable.com/projectPage/5fe49968180d0200197113a3

Thanks @muneer, I shall let you know how I get on…

Andos.

1 Like

You can also create a custom data viewer layout and just leave out the text component you don’t want.

You would have to create it in the snap to place interface and then use it in the drag and drop interface (or snap to place interface).

2 Likes

Hi @tatiang , where is the “snap-to-place interface”? I’ve seen it mentioned before in one or two topics but never really thought about it.

Andos.

1 Like

When you create a new project, there’s a check box to “try the new interface”. If you leave that unchecked, your project will use the snap to place interface. There is no way to convert from drag and drop to snap to place.

1 Like

I see @tatiang. I remember seeing that somewhere and I think I chose “drag and drop” at the start of this project.

Andos.

1 Like

A new feature was lately added to the DVL but I could not figure out how to use it although from the name of the feature it should be for such situations.

It says here Empty Text

This is from Release Notes:

HI @muneer, even after starting over several times, I still fail to grasp the concept behind the link you sent to me (Thunkable)

I understand that the links is to show how to highlight a “click selection” but I cannot seem to transpose it into a way to use the row id to change my “Title and Subtitle text” colour to all white. I first tried it using the straightforward “When screen opens” block with “Change colour” blocks (below)

Screenshot 2022-02-21 12.09.45

Then I tried various connotations using a function and as you can see below I have ended up with complete chaos.

Please help! :woozy_face:

Andos.

1 Like

Again, I repeat what I said previously. The Data Viewer requires the internal ID for the row in the table as the row ID.

The image you shared does not show how are you getting the row ID. Can you please show the blocks which you use to get the row ID?

Hi @muneer, when you say “row ID” are those the green blocks, or can you use aniy blocks for the row Id? I think this might be where I am getting confused. I only used the “When DVL click” blocks because the had a row ID block attached.

I can see any other way of using row ID.

What exactly is an internal ID if it is not a row ID? I am really lost here.

Could you give me an example of an internal ID and how to create one?

Andos.

1 Like

I wrote this yesterday. Did you read it?

This is where you get the internal ID
When you use the ID internal column of the table you are using the internal IDs which are a string of letters and numbers.

Ahh I see now, so “ID” = internal ID. So I assign anything to ID, for example, in a Google Sheet, it will use the hidden alphanumeric text that Google assigns to its row/ records instead of the row1, row2…
that the general sees. I understand now.

Do I create “ID” as an app variable? I can’t seem to find it in the blocks.

By the way, @muneer, as I said previously I got round the description by creating a “Blank” column.

Just to clarify, will I need to used the internal ID to change the DVL text colour anyway?

Sorry for being repetitive, my mental illness does make this difficult for me.

Andos.

Yes.

The green block row id in the DVL blocks actually holds the internal ID for that row. You can assign it to a label to see that it is not a simple running counter.