How can I do “on demanded” loading images 10 by 10 when scrolling?

In Thunkable X, the Any Component allows you to clone blocks. So you can design the Column or Row and name it your widget. Then inside this widget add whatever you like, may it be labels, buttons and images. From there you can clone for j in length of list or clone by pressing button, on demand. If you plan on having a short list, it is a cool way to design how you display your data!

1 Like

I think that the wrong approach to solving such problems was initially chosen. We are used to the fact that on powerful desktop computers you can have tens of thousands of records in a table and everything will work quickly. But for mobile applications this is not necessary. It’s hard for me to imagine a user who needs to scroll through all 500 entries in a table or load 50 pages with 10 entries on each page. And what users need - a convenient and quick search!

Instead of solving the problem of displaying information on pages, you need to create a search, the results of which will display 15-20 records that match the user’s request as closely as possible.

2 Likes

And you can use the clone component for j items in list, and when you search, search the list, then delete all clones and then clone j items in the new list which contains the items you searched for. You can use the search feature that @jane pointed out in this post.

So you can still have the style you want, and have it work like @actech mentioned above :slight_smile:

(edit)

If you want maybe 30 or so items to show up, you could pick the top 30 from list, then when you call search, just make this column invisible, and show a new one which contains all of the search items, and clone the searched list there. This would reduce the load that the device has to handle, as when you cancel search and go back to browsing the top 30 items, it will not have to re-clone, but just make its column visible again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, you are all right …
But think with me, imagine instagram, when you are using it nothing guarantees that you will only see 30 posts, sometimes you get 1 hour using it ends up seeing + 100 posts, just rolling … That’s good because you ends up seeing all your options (I believe in my case you have over 1000 options …)
Of course will have a search field where it makes the list of items you’ll see even smaller, but I still believe that in the main list it was good to see all the options … don’t you think?

I use an iphone 6 to see how the app is working, I believe 10 items is already a bit “heavy” with 15 I start to bother to take the load … imagine with 30 … = (
The right thing was for the app to load 1 by 1 instead of all at once.

Hey @Mark do you have any due dates for these new features? I will be so anxious if you leave me without any date HAHAHAHAHA and I am praying that one of these features is the zoom option on images (using webviwer for this function is very frustrating)

Instagram and the like, use lists. I don’t understand how they make it more lightweight because I am not very well up with coding knowledge, but I do know lists aren’t as strenuous on the device as the cloning component is. However, with how thunkable X let’s you take over design of just about everything, I am hopeful extended list viewer contains photo implementation, and then the added feature of full customisation, which in my opinion, thunkable X leads by example with. No app builder that I have used has had the design customisation as good as here.

that being said though, there are no promises that extended list viewer will bring this, but based on reading one of the earliest posted comments on GitHub feature requests, all your boxes should be ticked. the post is named Extended ListViewer, like in release notes upcoming features, and it basically asks for lists like in Spotify and other cool apps. So this is something you could hopefully look forward to.

1 Like

It´s because he load only a limited numbers of posts (like 10 for example) so when the scroll are in 80% from this 10 posts he load another 10… :wink: before load this 10 posts when the scroll are in 50% he load the next 10 posts but in the small size and other things… when u scroll to others posts all posts u see before go to the small size again just so as not to overload your device

I see one developer creating the instagram and he tells in the video what I said above … I was mega surprised …

So, i dont know if i can create the same template in the lists, are possible @eoinparkinson? like this:

Have one image, 6 labels and finishing with one label… divided into 3 columns where the middle column has 2 rows …

1 Like

You need a virtual list mechanism with data loading, which is not yet available in Thunakble X. I had a similar task, but it had more than 2000 product records. At first I tried to create 2000 cards, but it worked impossibly slowly (although much faster than in Thynkable X) and I had to change the approach to solving the problem by searching and categorizing the product. Therefore, I proposed it.

Too bad, I really don’t see another way to do what I intended to do … = (
I think the way is to work with clones for now and with 10 per page beyond this page system =)

Talking of cloning and taking data from a list, I am doing exactly this, cloning buttons and stuff and applying an image to the background of the button, unfortunately I can’t assign the image when I create the objects list with relative properties (ence the image), but I have to add it as soon as the relative screen loads (it’s some kind of bug; you can’t assign the image at inizialization but you can assign it with an ‘action’ block).

Unfortunately this makes the in app creation of the buttons a little slow, any suggestion on how to make it more performing?

I’m afraid not, @Yukold. They are under active development, but I wouldn’t wait for them if you are trying to get your app out in the near future.

Again, I am afraid not. If you (or somebody else) haven’t already created a feature request for that I suggest you do so at https://github.com/thunkable/thunkable-issues/issues/new/choose

-Mark

1 Like

I posted in github @Mark =)

I have no idea how hard it can be to put this kind of feature, but it would be extremely useful

I tried to clone a list and load images that are assetts as the buttons backgrounds but it’s too slow, so now I’m considering dowloading the pictures from the cloud, but, can I dowload the first time only that the screen loads and save the pictures on the device for future openings of the screen?

@Yukold Extended ListView will come before what you want, as I believe it is to do with lists initially.

And even then, Extended ListView has only been in the roadmap for a few months. Canvas and Sprites have been there longer, and both features are big. It seems that when smaller feature requests get accepted, they are dealt with first, to make sure there is a release every so often. So don’t hold your breath on anything just yet.

I’ve lost track of what’s being referred to by the terms “these new features”, “this kind of feature” or “what you want” since we’ve talked about a bunch of different features in this topic :wink:

If you ask me about specific features, I’m happy to give you a sense of their current priorities and rough estimates of when they might be released, if possible. It’s probably not good to do it in this particular topic/thread, though.

-Mark

I probably could have been less lazy about typing. “what you want” is far shorter than “On demand loading images”. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m in for that!

Just put it in an ‘advanced users’ section :wink:

I’d really like to have a ‘scroll to the bottom’ block :slight_smile: :slight_smile: