Help with an idea

Hey guys.

So, as some of you may be aware, I’ve been working on an app whereby you track the countries that you have visited and then if you visit that country again you can add a visit.

Thanks to some help from some great people on this forum I’ve managed, as a novice, to achieve this using the data viewer list component and I now have a functional app. Wow.

I was seriously considering putting this app on both app stores but I think it’s to basic.

Over the past couple of days I’ve been thinking how I could improve this app and I’ve came up with this idea.

Wouldn’t it be great if I can create a list in a drop down box of all 192 countries on planet earth (at least I think its 192 countries, I’ll have to look that up), and then have a counter somewhere pm the page that counts how many of the countries you’ve visited. So I guess it would look like this:
Click drop down box - select country - country goes into a visible list - counter goes to 1 of 192 countries visited, and so on and so on.

I would also like to keep the original feature of how many times you’ve been to a singular country as well somehow.

The problem is I don’t know where to start. Could this be done through fire base?

Any help on how to set this up would be great.

Cheers guys.

1 Like

Hey @beadle07 :wave:

Lots of interesting ideas in here! :smile:

It might not be too basic for the app stores, but you’ll never know if it’s gathering dust in your Thunkable account. I’d encourage you to publish it, connect with your users and find out what they want from your app!

It definitely could be, but that mightn’t even be necessary. How about starting simple with a CSV of all the countries in the world?

Here’s one I found on Google

1 Like

I just don’t want my first published app to flop. I’m nervous about putting it out there haha.

I’ll look into the CSV. If I’m honest I’m not really sure what it means but I’ll certainly read up and see if I can get my head around it.

Thank you Dom.

No worries at all!

Totally appreciate that (I know the feeling too!) but if you never publish then your app will never even get the opportunity to flop.

As a general rule of thumb - especially for software - get your app out there, get feedback and make improvements.

Let me know if I can help with the CSV stuff in any way.

1 Like

I’m just having a little play around with the CSV stuff now. I’ve watched your tutorial on how to use CSVs with the list_picker but it seems that component has gone now. I’ll have a play around with the list view and see if I can figure out how you do it.

No doubt I’ll be in touch soon for some more help.

I’ve played around a little with the blocks, mainly within list viewer as list picker (like in the CSV tutorials) has now gone, and I didn’t know which other component to use really, anyways, I can’t figure out how to set my list with CSV.

I’ve created my own CSV file of country names through Google sheets but when I downloaded it, it went into Excel, so I have an Excel CSV file to use now anyways.

Any advice would be great on how I get the CSV file to list my country names within the app.

Thank you.

1 Like

@domhnallohanlon it’s taken me a while but I finally figured out how to add a CSV file to data viewer list.

That’s how I’ve gone about it and its showing my country names up on the thunkable live app.

The problem I have now is that I don’t have a anything in the subtitle binding to update (if that makes sense). All I have is the name, which is used for my country names within the list.

I want to be able to swipe right and update the subtitle value by a factor of one to show how many times the user has visited that particular country but there’s no subtitle column binding to set it to.

It may be worth pointing out that as well as that I would like there to be some sort of counter where every time the user visits a different country on the list it shows up in the counter. There are 250 countries within my list so they may have visited 6 different countries but been to one of those countries 12 times, so I’ll need the app to differentiate between the two functions somehow.

Confusing for a beginner for me but probably easy for more experienced guys like yourself and others on this forum.

Hopefully that all makes sense and someone can help.

Cheers guys.

1 Like