For those who have worked with BLE

same in Florida, sadly, it’s going to take until late may for me to get that obd simulator.

1 Like

So, I was Just delivered an ECU simularor!

I am now fully equipped to take another crack at this!

1 Like

So, I got a list of IDs. and it’s one of the Most confounding things I’ve done thus-far.

I have a PDF from the manufacturer on the commands that it accepts.

I Know this device emulates a car’s computer properly, because I was able to use a check engine app and it properly displayed the information I typed Into it.

The greatest blockage on this is the uuid issue.

It would be an awesome proof of concept to have a check engine app programmed on thunkable.

The guide on the obdlink website says it’s supposed to give different information. But it keeps spitting out stuff like this…

I’m aware of how out of my depth I am, but it’s still irritating

1 Like

Is your device Bluetooth 4.0 compliant?

1 Like

Yes, the device is compliant.

however, I know that I must be doing something wrong, because it is not returning the same values that the guide says it should.

I’m Sure the issue is stemming from me not correctly doing something correctly.

Also, the app I’m using seems to automatically narrow down the uuids to these two sets

1 Like

The device is using serial port communication so you either use

00001101-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B34FB as the characteristic UUID or the 0000fff1-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B34FB

I would try 00001101 first.

1 Like

I just used these settings in the serial port app and it responded properly, as you can see.

However, unsurprisingly, I was unable to reproduce these results in thunkable using the same numbers and the transmit/receive blocks

in between the highlighted lettering, it seems to work

1 Like

for whatever reason, thunkable either does nothing, or returns an error. i have it rigged to send the data, recieve an error and then change the color of the text on the send button from white to red.

if i do something wrong, it returns an error and changes the color to red. but does nothing if i have the correct UUID, which turns out to be the “fff” one

1 Like

hey, @domhnallohanlon sorry to nag. Is there something with the send and receive function that works differently than the serial port app? From what I can tell, the app does basically the same thing as the thunkable blocks.

however, I’ve just noticed that the blue “BLE” light on the obd tool blinks a split second after I hit send which just transmits data. however, I am unsure if its me or the software at this juncture.

from what i can see, it doesn’t demand to be given data in raw hex. but It’s lack of a response has me confused.

Is there any precedent for something like this?

1 Like

Basically you need to receive data using fff1 and send to your device using fff2

Remember you will need to create a function to convert from Hex to decimal to read the results.

1 Like

I have already done the hex thing a few months ago. people have remixed it NUMEROUS times :joy:

Ill just show you my rigged setup. The list is just to see if its working. the ble component has a habit of being VERY unresponsive

my terribly designed app:
https://x.thunkable.com/copy/38204f7a9df355f19ff86994eb43decf

sorry, the first version of the image attached was when i was trying to brake it on purpose

1 Like

Due to the fact that we don’t know if the device has a send buffer or not we cannot assume that we will get data when we request to receive the info from the device, therefore the best way is to have the receive block inside the fire event of a timer that we need to add to the project. This way the timer will constantly check if there is anything in the device to send to the app.

1 Like

you mean have a constant loop that tries to receive from the Bluetooth device?

I can try that, I’m just a bit confused as to what to do, simply because of the fact that the receive function says “operation was rejected” I don’t know if that’s because the receive block is not doing something properly or what.

the only indicator that I have on the device is the BLE light. It blinks when I Hit “send” so I know that it is, at least, connecting and sending data when I Transmit Data. However, nothing Happens when I try using the receive Block.

it tells me “operation was rejected” not sure if its thunkable or the device rejecting the operation. any idea?

1 Like

update, it appears that any block I place in the “when transmit is done” slot, doesn’t seem to execute. that is to say, if I put a block to change the screen’s background color to red. it will transmit, the LED Indicator will blink, but the screen will never turn red.

I wonder if it has anything to do with thunkable not having a “notify” function. :thinking:

It’s looking like the uuids are only notify and write.

In not sure if thunkable is able to due notify. Is there a way to read a notify uuid using the receive block?

2 Likes

BLE standards has two notify functions, one is used like a send function from the device which can be done after connecting with the device and you can use the receive block to do that. Most devices use the transmit and flush mechanism which means it will not wait for you to request data but rather will send whenever available. This is why I suggest to include the receive block in a timer fire event.

The other notify function for BLE is actually a broadcast and does not require the device to be connected but only observing the service UUID. This function is not available in Thunkable.

Hope this explains the situation.

2 Likes

would you be able to show in blocks what you mean by a “fire event”?

1 Like