Food Rating & Photo Submission App

Hi folks!

I’m trying to create a content submission app in which people could rate a meal they had based on predetermined criteria, and upload a photo.

I’ve got as far as a usable interface with connected data source, but I’m not entirely sure how to have the data write to the Google sheet. I don’t need users to access/edit the data; I essentially want it to come through to a sheet that I use to post on an instagram account.

I think I’ve got so far ok? But I’m not really sure what the ‘row id’ is, whether I need to change that to something else in order for it to populate into the GSheet, and where the images get saved etc.

The tutorials I’ve seen don’t appear to answer my question as I understand it - so apologies in advance if this has been answered elsewhere (and I’m just not understanding the terminology).

The project link is here if it helps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - just as any links to relevant questions/tuts would be!
Cheers!

You can use the “url from uploaded file” block in the Files drawer to upload an image to Cloudinary and return the hosted url. Assigning it to a variable makes it accessible to other areas of your code on that screen or other screens.

The green blocks such as “row id” are only valid within the “do” section of a function. So you wouldn’t use that block above where you see it. You generally don’t need to do anything with a “row id” block after creating a row unless you need to reference it later with another block that requires a row id (such as when deleting a row).

·····················································································································
Need help? How to Ask Great Questions :sparkles: Debugging A Project :sparkles: API JSON Tutorial

Thank you for your quick reply! That’s super helpful.

I’m not getting the same ‘initialise app’ as you - do I just type “photoURL”?

Do you know if there is a tutorial I’m missing regarding this stuff?

Thanks again!!

You can type the name of the variable but I don’t recommend using that. The blocks I used are at the very top of the Variables drawer. If you mean variables then you could review this: Variables Blocks | Thunkable Docs. It talks about dynamic variables. They have a place for sure but I don’t think I’ve ever needed them in years of using Thunkable. People often make the mistake of putting another app variable block inside of the “” name area which causes all sorts of problems. I find it’s just easier to avoid them.

Thank you.

I’m not getting the same - this is all that’s on my variables drawer!?

Screenshot 2024-08-26 at 16.36.32

As far as looking for tuts goes, I think I was just wondering if there was an overall photo upload tutorial rather than variables specifically. I’ll dig into it and see what I can find!

Thanks so much for all your help! :smiley:

For tutorials, you might search for “Camera” or “Files” on the official YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/thunkable

After you initialize a variable, you’ll see a new set block at the top of the drawer (mine shows “set stored variable items list” and a new value block (mine shows “stored variable items list”):

Thank you again for your help. For whatever reason, I just cannot seem to achieve the same results as in your screenshot :frowning: There’s no ‘PhotoURL’, there’s no ‘stored variable items list’.

I have tried searching ‘camera’ or ‘files’ on the youtube channel, however as far as I can tell there’s no clear video that addresses my problem. Or if there is, it’s buried in under a different tutorial.

I think a large part of the issue is that I have absolutely no knowledge so I have no frame of reference or understanding for what these things actually are. It seems to me that the solution/app request should be straightforward but clearly I’m mistaken! :sweat_smile:

Thanks again for all your assistance :slight_smile: I’ll see if I can contact Thunkable too.

Cheers :smiley: