Drag and drop UI

You should make it much more clear that if you choose the Drag and Drop UI, it will be very different from the classical one and everything you will see in the documentation or on youtube. As a beginner this was incredible frustrating. Like, where are rows and columns? Where are custom layout? It should have a clear indicator saying EXPERIMENTAL AND MIGHT BE CRAP, USE WITH CAUTION.

2 Likes

What you asked for is already there but it seems you have not noticed it at all.

Read that it says try not use.

So, may be this is not clear enough, just hover your mouse on top of any Drag & Drop project and read again.

Can you see BETA in capital?

You could claim it’s not noticeable enough, maybe.

Thanks for your response!
The thing is that “try out our new drag and drop interface” only implies a change in the user interface, not the fact that many core functions are different or just not there at all.

And yes, I can see beta in capital, but I would not rely on a user hovering over that area to get that information.

Additionally, in the the documentation page, there should be a clear separation between what applies to the old and new version. (Is there specific documentation for the new version at all?)

2 Likes

I think you have a good point that the documentation needs upgrading. I’m sure the staff wrestled with whether to release the new interface or wait until everything matched it. Arguments can be made either way.

I’m sorry you had a frustrating experience using the new interface. For each project, you can choose either the new drag-and-drop interface or the legacy interface (that does have a few more features and follows the documentation/videos more closely). You can’t currently switch between interfaces for an existing project, however.

I hope you stick with Thunkable. It’s a great tool! I just submitted my first app to the Apple App Store today and the process was so much easier than with other drag-and-drop tools I’ve used. I’m currently using the legacy interface for app development and the new drag-and-drop interface for prototyping and for teaching (I teach an app design course for 7th & 8th graders).

1 Like

The new drag and drop is great except that I can’t even create a login because all the blocks that are shown in the videos and guides don’t even show up in my app. I really want to learn this product but these blocks don’t make any sense and the help out there seems out dated. For example this purple block is no where to be found in my blocks. I am just trying to test the database.

thunk

1 Like

The login process uses a different component called Sign In which has all the blocks of the old UI.

As for the Realtime Database, Thunkable is encouraging developers to use cloud variable instead of the purple block.

You may refer to a splendid post written by @drted to explain this issue further.

1 Like

By cloud variables do you mean Firebase? I already set that up successfully, I think. I do see the sign in component in the blocks section but do not see that purple block mentioned in my last post.

Even then, I found another post that looks like it shows the new way of creating a log in but in this case I also cannot find some of the blocks used in it. I cannot find in my blocks any green blocks that start with “from” and then has a “get”.

1 Like

Another trivial change that was done lately. All From text in the blocks are changes to Set text but this is cosmetic and should not have any impact.

Another issue, in the new UI you will see the blocks in their simplest form. However, you can always choose the Show advanced block from the pop-up menu

Which will convert the single line block to this

Hope that helps

1 Like

Thanks you for your responses. I was able to build log ins in Bubble and Adalo fairly easy after watching a few videos but Adalo doesn’t have the functionality that I need and Bubble doesn’t do native. Then I found Thunkable and it’s impossible to do workflows. You can’t win lol.

1 Like

To be clear, I’m all for early deployment of beta functions as it is the most efficient way of getting feedback, but as I mentioned, with a more clear indicator. I often explore beta functions for services I use, but with the mindset that now I’m just playing around and not necessarily investing a lot of time in an actual project.

2 Likes