Creat Row and Get Row (Airtable Spreadsheet)

Hello,
Is it possible to creat a row and get directly the row number from it?
I want to save the row number directly into a variable.

Thank you for your help.

Hi,

after adding a record using the block “CreateRow”, create a loop for all records and by comparing the unique value of the column (key _id) you can determine the sequence number of the added record.

Hello,
with Key_id you refer to the entry I made from Textinput3 to Textinput7 in my example right?
My idea was to creat empty values, than move to the next screen and there I have the Textinput fields to update the empty values.

Is there no other way to get the Row number without searching for an value?

Otherwise I could creat an Login put the user inside a Variable and write that value into the spreadsheet and than searching for an empty value+current user…

Hello,

_id is a unique identifier that is created automatically when a new entry is created. Determining the number of entries on it is the most reliable way, but there are others.

if I understand correctly, the created empty row is added to the end of the table. Therefore, you can find its number if you determine the number of records in the table.

%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%BE%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B5

If I understand correctly what you are trying to so here, you could save the 'row' object that you get from 'CreateRow' in a variable and use that later to update the empty fields using the 'ReplaceRow' block. You would simply set the appropriate properties of the variable from your text input fields and then place the variable in the 'ReplaceRow' block.

Hope this helps.

-Mark

1 Like

Hello,
both your and Marks input have been very helpfull and I was able to solve parts of my problems.

But I still have a similar problem to solve, Im searching in my spreadsheet2 for an value and put it inside an variable (thats working fine),
with the value return of the value i need also to know the rownumber.

can I somehow determine in which line the value was found by using “lengths of”?

Hi,

in the value search algorithm (the value search must use a loop), use the row counter variable: row = 0. At each iteration of the loop, increase the value of this counter (row = row+1) and save it in a global variable when the value is found. In this case, along with finding the value, you will have the row number.

@Christian_Sigge, Are you sure that you need the row number? In my earlier post, I tried to show that you could directly use the ReplaceRow block, which does not need a row number. Is there a different problem that you are trying to solve in your case where you need to find the row number? I’m not saying that you definitely don’t need the row number but I’m curious what, exactly, you need it for.

-Mark

Hello Mark,
I try to explain what I want to do:

On my first screen I have a button, that button creats an empty entry in my Spreadsheet1 and forwards me to my second screen where I can update these empty values, on my second screen is also a switch, that switch creats a copy of the data in another spreadsheet2, here Im using your idea and store the rowobject from the created row into an variable, Im using that to be able to delete the row when the switch value is set to false.

It works aslong as I stay on that screen2 and siwtch the switch on and off, it creats the row in spreadsheet2 and deletes it, but if I for example creat another job and go back to the previus job im not able to delete the row in spreadsheet2 because I dont have the value of the rowobject (Rownumber) anymore.

There for I need to get the rownumber of the corresponding value in spreadsheet2 if I open a job.

Christian,

What you mean by a job? If you mean that you close your app and then re-open it, you can use a “stored” variable to save your row object and it will be available when you re-open your app.

-Mark

There must be a simple way to call CreateRow and store the User ID (for a new user) but then if they login again later it doesn’t create a 2nd entry.
Thanks

This might be what you were looking for up front a little more spelled out:

You will get a variable which is a long string of letters (instead of a simple progressive number I was expecting), however it works fine.

2 Likes