Complete project deleted after deleting button component

Dear thunkable team,

is there a way to backup iOS projects?
my complete app (600 blocks) was deleted, when I cleared a row section with three buttons, which were not used by any block in the blocks section. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

this is of course a huge step back for me, especially I have lost all my trust in the iOS version, which I was super excited before that. :slightly_frowning_face:

cheers,
User81

1 Like

ā€¦and trying to recover the 600 blocks with ā€œundoā€ duplicates the blocks from screen2 to screen1 (screen1 had all the deleted blocks before the deleting)

I really cannot interpret the behavior of the iOS editor :disappointed_relieved:

it is not due to ios version. It is problem or bug in thunkable. I have faced the same when I click right mouse button in block section, it gets double clicked automatically, And due to that some times It clicks on delete all blocks button @amrita please take a look.

Also IF possible keep some distance between download and delete buttons

thank you for your answer and your help, sir!

The picture you posted shows an overview of android projects. In the iOS version of thunkable, there is no trash can beneath a download button.
In the iOS version, there is no possibility to download project.
In the iOS version, there is no delete all blocks button after a right click in blocks section.

You may understand, that I am very grateful for you help, but do not really understand the link between my problem and the issue you posted in this thread.

Besides that, thank you for letting a member of the developers team know! :smiley:

cheers,
User81

BTW: when i open my project now, all blocks, which were originally on screen2, are now on Screen1(where the bunch of blocks were deleted), Screen2 is empty, although I made noch changes there. This is strange, because the blocks now on Screen1 have references to labels and images, which are not on this screen

I understand you talking about `iosā€™ , but as per thunkable guidelines anyone must not create repeated topics. thatā€™s why I explained my issues over here.

1 Like

I rebuilt my app :grinning:

can I make a backup?

User81,

Iā€™m sorry to hear about your problem with the deleted blocks. It looks like we have a bug where some blocks are deleted unnecessarily when components are deleted . The correct behavior is supposed to be that only the blocks that reference the deleted components are removed. It also seems like there is a problem with the undo behavior in the Blocks Editor. We will definitely look into these issues.

Iā€™m so glad that you were able to rebuild your app!

As for backup, right now the best way to do that is to share the project with yourself. The share operation will make a snapshot copy of your project at that point in time and when you go to the resulting URL it will create a copy of that snapshot in your set of projects. I hope that help you.

-Mark

2 Likes

Thunkable - best support ever! :ok_hand: Thx to @Mark

I lost my project again yesterday (several weeks of development) - probably after hitting undo/CTRL-Z a couple of times.

I restored my project by sharing an older version but it references the local storage/DB incorrectly so my persisted data were gone. Not so goodā€¦

What changes with respect to local database when sharing an app? Is there any way to get access to a local database from a shared (child) app created by the parent app again?

I believe strongly (for a number of reasons) that you really need to prioritize backup and restore of source code. That would make a lot of users even happierā€¦ :wink:

@losmobilos, I agree that we should make backup and restore of projects easier. Weā€™ve put that on our queue and hopefully will be able to get to it in the near future.

-Mark

@losmobilos, did you try to to a redo after your undoā€™s to restore your blocks? If so, did that not work? If not, can you tell me what happened after the redo? Weā€™d love to try and figure out what is going on, so that we can fix it. If you happen to have a simple, easily reproducible, example that would help us a lot.

Also, what exactly do you mean by:

What changes with respect to local database when sharing an app? Is there any way to get access to a local database from a shared (child) app created by the parent app again?

-Mark

Hi again,

REDO is not available - maybe it was just after the incident but not anymore. I have moved on to a new version (shared with myself) but the local storage issue persists:

The local data stored on the device by the original app generated by the source code that went missing in the incident cannot be accessed/retrieved by the app generated by the source code copy (the shared project/app).

Something must be generated differently when the app is compiled from the copy.

I noticed that ā€œProperties/Team IDā€ and ā€œProperties/Bundle IDā€ were blank in the restored copy - but setting these right does not cure the problem with accessing the local data.

All the best,

Lars

Lars,

Thanks for your feedback!

Unfortunately, the share workaround for backup/restore creates an entirely new project/app. By design, separate apps donā€™t share local storage. We may add the ability to share local storage as a future feature.

Once we implement proper backup/restore we should enable the restored version to share local storage with the original app.

-Mark

2 Likes

Super - looking forward to it :wink:

Since I have lost a lot of code two times to these bugs during the project development I am a bit concerned about the code size:

I am currently experiencing problems saving changes to the source code/blocks and I have to delete blocks to save new blocks now. My app is somewhat complex but only holds three bitmaps (the app icon and two tiny .png files (10*1 pixel each)) so it must be the code itself that takes up the space.

Now I am worried that residue from the lost code is still present in the source file (missing pointers, indexes or whatever in the source file) even though I cannot see the lost blocks.

Can you please dive a bit into the code limitations and the nature of the lost blocks situation and effects?

All the best,

Lars

Hello Mark,

I appreciate your support very much.
Like @losmobilos, I think that a proper backup/restore system will bring trust to thunkable-iOS. And as I see it, thunkable has its USP when it comes to crossover platform development.

I am sure your and your team will figure out the best solution :wink:

cheers User81

1 Like

Lars,

Please take a look at my reply to another one of your postings.

-Mark