Capture user email at Sign in to display other user information

I’ve looked around the community a few times but I haven’t seen anything specific. My question is what blocks would I need in order to capture the User’s email address at sign in and use that as my ‘row id’ to get other information from Google Sheets? At the ‘Sign Up’ screen I have created ‘app variables’ and assigned them ‘row id’s’ and everything is showing up correctly in Google Sheets but I can’t call the information after sign in.

The video tutorial in the documentation at User Sign Up, Sign In, and Authentication with Google | Drag and Drop | Thunkable Docs shows how to do this using the Get Profile block. Ideally, you wouldn’t store their email address since that’s a privacy concern but instead would use their user id to save and retrieve data in Google Sheets.

Tatiang,

The video definitely gave me some insight as well as alternatives to getting the user information in my labels, thanks. I’m still having a hard time with other ‘labels in my app.’ At its core, I guess my question is how to move the ‘row id’ throughout my app. I have a ‘Sign In’ page that has the option to ‘Sign Up.’ My ‘Sign Up’ page contains my ‘row id’s’ and the information gets passed to my Google Sheets so that I can retrieve this information later (everything is perfect and the information populates properly).

But after the user signs out, and attempts to sign in again, I don’t have a way to retrieve my ‘row id’s.’ I’ve made each on a ‘variable’ but when I try to use the database block 'Get Value from Sheet ‘X’ for ‘Column Title’ and display it as a label (after sign up has been completed and the user signs in again) the labels don’t show the proper information. That’s why I’m thinking I need to be able to access ‘row id’s.’

It’s generally not recommended to store personal data in a shared Google Sheet. There are more secure databases such as Firebase realtime database that are designed for more security.

The green row id block returns a randomized value (a long text string) generated by the Google Sheet. But it also can be interchanged with the row number of the sheet.

If you want to re-use the value returned by a green block in Thunkable, set a variable to that block and then use the variable elsewhere. If you want to have the variable retain that value even after the app has been closed, use a stored variable.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.