Calendar and data - school project

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding programming an app in thunkable: I am currently working on a project in school (I am in 8th class in Germany) and try to create an app that counts your daily waste / garbage and helps to reduce it. I have a problem and can’t find out by myself - here it is: I would like to use a calendar (I already got a template for this) but can’t find out how to implement a data at one specific date and how to store it… It’s a bit the same idea as adding your own weight at a specific date and store it. It would be great to get a graph out of it also, that shows the different days with the given data.
What I have so far is a stored variable - the app gives you a list of things to choose and you can add the value. But how to connect this with a calendar…? Thanks in advance - I really appreciate your help.

Stay safe!

Mia Jasper

1 Like

Hi Mia, welcome to Thunkable!

Can you either share the template project link or offer a reference to it? It’s hard to know how to help you without knowing how the calendar feature is set up.

2 Likes

Hi tatiang,
thanks for your welcome and thank you for your answer.
I built a prototype with that specific function:

Prototype

Today I got the hint that it might be better to use the “date input” function instead of the calendar function (thanks to rollke).
My question is: How to store the data for each single day (at the moment the app just adds every input) and how to connect this with the “data input”. At the end I would like to have a graph that shows a cummulation of each single day.

Thank you very much for having a look into it.
Sorry that I can’t explain it better - let me know if you have any questions…
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi,
you could use Local_DB (a sort of spreadsheet with rows and columns) or you could try lists of lists.

The best way would be to use Realtime_DB. But for that your users have to use a Firebase (internet connection) and you have to provide a Firebase account. I think that is a “bit too much” for a school project.

2 Likes

Here is a small example for a solution with lists of lists.
The list for kichengarbage (as a stored variable) is a list containing small lists with two elements (type of garbage and counter for that type).
In the textfield you enter a type of garbage. If it is new, the new element will be appended to the garbage-list. If this type is already in list (else) the counter will be increased by 1.