Bottom Tab Navigator Issues (screen name set as label)

Hi everyone,
I just started building my app in thunkable x and so far, everything was very straight forward. However, I can’t wrap my mind around the Bottom Tab Navigator settings and the documentation doesn’t seem to mach what’s actually happening.

Documentation: https://docs.thunkable.com/bottom-tab-navigator

My case: I would like to show the bottom tab navigator on specific screens of my app (not on all).
As per the documentation, I initially thought I only had to drag those screens on top of the navigator that were supposed to get an icon/label on the navigator.
However, this did not give me the option to switch on the Bottom Tab Navigator on pages that were not listed underneath the bottom tab navigator.
Next try: I also dragged those pages onto the bottom tab navigator that were supposed to SHOW the navigator but NOT get an icon/label on it.
So far, so good: I was now able to switch on the “tabBarVisible” toggle for those pages.
I left both fields “TabBarLabel” and “TabNavigatorIcon” blank, thinking that this way NO icon or label would be shown for this screen in the tab navigator.
HOWEVER, a spot inside the tab navigator was created after all, without an icon but with the Screen Name as the label.

This really doesn’t make any sense. Either I am completely missing something in the logic here or this is a bug? I just couldn’t find it as a known issue. I’ve been searching around so much already,

I would really appreciate help on this.
Thanks a lot,
Antje

If the screen Name as a Label is present, could you toggle the Label to “Not Visible” on the screens you don’t want it to show up on? Or maybe you could use the blocks “When page you don’t want Bottom Tab Navigator on opens” Do set Visible to false?

1 Like

Thanks for the fast reply :slight_smile:
That’s exactly the thing that confuses me: When I toggle to “not visible” it removes the bottom tab navigator from the screen (where it is supposed to show up) AND at the same times leaves the screen name as label on the navigator on all screens where it is showing.
Doesn’t look like it’s supposed to act like this.

I will look into your suggestion using blocks tomorrow and give feedback if I can figure it out there.

1 Like

Does your tree look like this?

the screens you want before the navigator screens are placed before, the ones in the navigator are ‘in’ the navigator as evidenced by being indented.
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 8.07.43 AM

Hi there,
this is what my tree looks like:
Screenshot 2020-04-13 at 13.04.41

For the screens that are supposed BOTH show the tab navigator AND have an own icon on it, the settings looks like this:
Screenshot 2020-04-13 at 13.04.58

For the screens that are supposed to ONLY show the tab navigator but DON’T have an icon/label on it, I toggled “tabBarVisible” to true but left icon and label fields blank.
However, with this setting, the tab navigator is showing on the screen but also a label is created using the screen name:

When I leave the screen within the tab navigator tree and toggle “tabBarVisible” to false, the tab navigator disappears from the screen but the “site name”-label stays on the other screens that are showing the tab navigator.

Hope this is more clear now. I should have included screenshots from the beginning. Sorry about that :slight_smile:

So you want to show The nav bar ON Screens that aren’t IN the nav bar?

Yes, that’s exactly what I would like to achieve.

You will need to replicate the nav bar. This could be done a couple ways. First take page out of the navigator. You could recreate the bar. Or screenshot an image of the bar and place invisible buttons on top. Use those to navigate hack to a page in the navigator.

Oh, ok. Got it. Thank you. I’m still finding it very confusing. I always thought navigation bar items should navigate to primary app destinations and not every single “sub-destination”. I’m sure most apps have plenty of screens and aren’t supposed to have them all in the navigation bar.

You’re more experienced than I am. If I may ask: Would you say it makes sense to make a feature request for this:
–> Defining which screens are the “primary destinations” that should show the nav bar AND appear IN it and which screens are “secondary destinations” which should only show the nav bar but not appear in it.

Thanks again

Yes. I’d like you to check out this too. You may find this useful.
https://thunk.app/w/0UgxnW2K6
use the side navigator and go to the screen “Dynamic screen content”

would this be helpful?

1 Like

Thank you, I will check this out.
Thanks again for your fast responses and input!
I will, for now, probably go with an easy-but-not-so-pretty “back button” solution on sub-screens.

I also just created a feature request.
For reference: https://github.com/thunkable/thunkable-issues/issues/470

1 Like

I think what you really want to be able to do could be accomplished with the technique i shared in dynamic screens.

this would allow you to not ‘navigate away’ from a page that has the nav bar. see new content on a scrollable screen, and revert back to the first page with either a back button or by hitting the original button on the nav bar that got you there in the first place.

either way, happy thunking and welcome to the community! :wave:

1 Like