App for student association

Hey everybody,

I’m pretty new to Thunkable, but I’m looking for software to build an app for my student association and hope to do this with Thunkable. The designing part is pretty clear to me, the part that’s not is the functionalities.

These are some of the functionalities I want in the app:

Page with career related posts (from wordpress website or uploaded by admin)
Upcoming events with groupchat (would be nice if it possible to sync this with Facebook)
Ability for admin to upload photos/videos (without needing to update complete app, maybe from a DB like airtable?)

Do you think it’s possible to make this kind of app with Thunkable? I’ve got a lot of time on my hands nowadays, so that’s not a problem!:slight_smile:

Thanks!

Greets Benjamin

1 Like

Hi @benjaminvandermeeren, welcome to the Community.

All of this is very much possible!

Wordpress with Web-API:

Make sure the Wordpress REST API is publicly accessible. Many news agencies that use Wordpress to power their website have plugins to block public access. To test it out go to your Wordpress website domain and attach /wp-json to the end. It should return json. Should look something like this: https://wordpress.org/wp-json

It’s very easy to work with the Web-API in Thunkable. See here for documentation.

Facebook with Web-API:

The same as with Wordpress, use the Web-API and look into Facebook Developer Docs.

Photos in app - A Blog:

The new Data Viewer component just got released today, which allows you to make a blog style app using external data sources such as Airtable or Google Sheets. Talk about timing!

You find docs on the new Data Viewer List component here, along with the blocks to work with this new component here.

If you encounter any problems be sure to search for that issue in the Community, and if you can’t find it you can create a new topic and someone will help you out :slight_smile:

Also be sure to share your app when your done in #SuccessfullyTHUNKd. We’d love to see it!

Wow! Thanks for the quick response. I know wat I’ll be doing for the next few days

1 Like

I also should have mentioned to use something like http://jsonviewer.stack.hu to view json from Wordpress, as it looks extremely daunting and pretty impossible to work with. This will sort it into a tree view for you.

This

to this: