Accessing Firebase root

I know that you can access the root directory of a Firebase realtime database by using the cloud variable “//”. And I’m able to get and display the object properties of that path such as “photos,users” using these blocks:

My Firebase structure is:

[database url]/
photos/
   description: "test"
users/

But if I try to get the property “photos/description” or the property “/photos/description” (leading /) of the object app variable AllFirebaseDataAsObject, they both return null.

I can definitely get data directly from Firebase using cloud variable “photos/description” but I’m hoping to download the root data as an object and get properties locally from it since Firebase retrieval is a bit slow.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

What do you get if you JSONify the app variable and put the result in a label?

1 Like

That’s a REALLY helpful question… thank you for suggesting it!

The JSON is valid and what I expect. It shows the path being [object]/photos/description.

But when I attempt to get that – even from the JSON text that is displayed for the variable, I still get a null value. So I have some troubleshooting to do but this should help me figure it out.

I figured it out! I switched from using cloud variables to access Firebase JSON as objects and started using properties of a local object. Firebase needs paths with “/” in them but local objects need paths with “.” in them. I swapped out the slashes for periods and it works now. :slight_smile:

Instead of getting the property “photos/description”, I had success by getting the property “photos.description”.