Introducing the Thunkable Gallery & Thunkable PRO

if only its possible and will be compatible why not.

Some works/changes to do…

This also makes it impossible to use api and other services since most of the providers have in their policy that the api key/service key cant be shared.

1 Like
1 Like

I think this i correct. Because Thunk and App Inventor is school platform. You have the chance to learn and write app. If you want to be private that is because you want to make money with your app. Then you/we should pay for the hard work of this great team. He give us a change to do that. Other platform has from start a way to pay for make app. Because always is a free way, buy is limited. Maybe can make a way to be free limited. Thank you for me to have a chance to learn a make a great app.
Regards, CG

1 Like

@amrita

I bet you will not stop Thunkable Classic… if you do it. All Thunkable users will switch in a snap to other platforms. I think this is just a strategy to force users to move on thunkable x platform with 20$ else public - people learning will make the public app. If they have idea they will make android app first see how it makes earnings - which is possible with other builders (ai2, makeroid & appybuilder) for free… why they will try X- cross platform for paid. You should come up will great strategy to SELL X. This idea is going to fail badly and your team will regret.

Best
Zama

2 Likes

Thunkable Classic is being terminated??? Will it even be archived? I have used it for two years because I have regarded it as the best materialistic App Inventor app platform, and now you’re going to throw it all away??? Keep it in archive at least for people to still use! Thunkable X is trash, if I say so bluntly. There’s no extensions, you can’t build large applications, etc. it’s just so bad. And to think you are throwing you’re hard work on Thunkable Classic away!!! I will no longer use Thunkable if this is happening! @thunkable

1 Like

This is exactly all I have to say! And $20 per month?!? I’m just a student I can’t afford that?!? At least provide a student discount!!! @amrita @thunkable

1 Like

In the coming months, we expect Thunkable X to be more power than Classic. We are working on many new components as well as a way to build extensions.

@Uday_Vissa - We will let you know if you offer student discounts for Thunkable PRO. In the meantime, you can always keep your projects public and that will remain free.

1 Like

It will never be more powerful because there are not third party extensions

@Uday_Vissa Please read…

2 Likes

There will be no way to use current extensions ever. The structure of the Thunkable X is absolutely different. So, there will be new extension developers that will develop for Thunkable X, but I’m not sure if anyone will really care about this platform with such pricing.

3 Likes

How to search public gallery for specific projects? I can’t find a search box to do so!

I guess, there will be a way for extensions.

I already started, learning this programming language https://facebook.github.io/react-native/ to be one of the first extension developers :slight_smile:

But maybe I am wrong and completely on the “Holzweg”.

I come back to this thread every few weeks hoping and praying that the Thunkable guys have had a change of heart and decided not to terminate Classic, but alas it’s been two months since this thread was started and I just see a lot of Classic developers arguing with @AcrobatEpee with what looks like no wiggle room at all. Since I was the first commenter on this thread, I feel bad that I may have started this backlash against the Thunkable management team and I apologize for that.

Instead of arguing, I want to offer an alternative fate for Thunkable Classic if I may:

I acknowledge that Thunkable management wants to enable the drag-and-drop app-building tool to iOS. It’s a new direction and something that may bring new developers and new revenue to the Thunkable team. Congratulations for steering the project in a new direction. However, everyone (or at least 99% of them) in this forum is an Android developer. You won’t really be able to use the “iOS is important and needs to be addressed” argument and hope to win people over with that. It just won’t work. It’s like taking vi away from vi users and telling them that emacs is the way to go and they have to move no matter what. You’re just starting a huge argument that you won’t hear the end of.

So, my alternative:

Keep developing X. You want to see if your new baby will break new ground and bring in new money/devs. There’s nothing wrong with that. Good luck and godspeed! I’m sure that most Android devs won’t have a problem with that at all.

It’s the removing of Classic and forcing all projects to be public that I feel most people (myself included) have a problem with. Most of us came here from Mit App Inventor 2. A great tool, but you guys took it the next step. To put it bluntly, your App Inventor is better and it’s free. People flocked to it like crazy and you guys built a great community around it.

In order to keep Classic alive, you’d have to throw resources at it (money, devs, time, …). I understand that and so do most people here. However, killing a working tool is going to hurt people, disenfranchise them and maybe even make them angry. So what’s the solution?

I’d like to offer a few possible solutions:

• Make Classic open-source. It stays free, people could use their own servers. Devs would be happy. You wouldn’t have to maintain it anymore. People with resources could host the servers for the public. You could wash your hands of it and the dev community would be happy and we could go our separate ways. This is the best option for both parties in my opinion.

• Continue to maintain Classic but charge just enough to keep the lights on. This wouldn’t be that much work or money. People may pay a small fee ($2 or $3 per month maybe?) to continue their work. Just do security patches and basic bug fixing. Might take 1/2 FTE or something but everyone would still be pretty happy.

• Sell Classic to a partner - maybe there is someone out there that would pay something for Classic and host it and maintain it for you guys? Maybe the extension devs would be interested in maintaining the code base and you could find a company somewhere that would donate servers for hosting builds? I have a couple of servers that could easily be used for building projects that I’d be willing to let you guys use.

Please, please, please don’t make all projects public and charge for private projects. This is just plain wrong. I’m not sure who came up with that one, but personally, I think that this is a bad idea. If you want to do the gallery thing, fine. Make it opt-in. Add a checkbox somewhere where people can add their stuff to the gallery if they want to, but don’t make it mandatory. Don’t charge for private projects either. GitHub started with that model and their competition forced them to make private repos free after a while. It’s not a good idea. If it’s storage or something that’s the problem, there are other solutions to that - make a limit to the number of projects or something less drastic.

That’s all I have.

• A thunkable user that really doesn’t want to move to a different platform. Keep Classic!
4 Likes

Thanks for your well laid out thoughts. We will keep it in consideration as we decide what to do with Thunkable Classic.

Splendid. 3 very viable options. Team thunkable, please charge $3 per month and keep it open.

Apps/Projects in Thunkable Classic (app.thunkable.com) will not turn to public. We will keep Thunkable Classic running until Sep 2019. We are still planning on things we can do or offer.

For existing users on the classic platform, please try out the X platform and let us know your feedback.

Thanks,
Wei

2 Likes

The thunkable public gallery is not what i expected. All projects in the thunkable gallery are mostly useless, they are blank, it doesnt let me sort them by top.

@zbk0612eip8w what did you expect? There are good example starter apps in the public gallery. What kind of apps did you expect to see?

1 Like