Why is there a BIG WHITE BAR at the bottom of the live app on tablets?

Testing on both iOS and Android. Landscape view on tablets; Both views on tablets; there is a giant white Thunkable “testing bar” at the bottom with the app name and the Home/ View Code buttons, which means that my apps are not full height when live testing.

There are no settings for the Live app and I don’t want that bar there, why would anyone not want to display their app full height when testing?

It’s inconvenient at best, and at worst it is literally stopping me from creating an app that looks right on tablets because I can’t see a full-height view.

Utterly ridiculous.

Please just make this go away, or make it optional!?

1 Like

It’s an Apple requirement. Please see this:

I’m not sure why you’re seeing it in Android but maybe @domhnallohanlon can answer that.

1 Like

Okay, thanks.

It’s literally taking up about a fifth of the screen on Android and really doesn’t need too (if it even has to be there at all as you’ve said). Current version is 301.

On the iOS note, I doubt Apple would specify the height and most people creating with thunkable won’t need the constant “use our tutorials” reminders. Please can the height of it be reduced (on iPads), if it has to be there?

Just read the 80% height note on the other post, is this still true? That was 2 years ago and I wonder if they’ve changed that requirement.

Also, is there a way that users can choose to hide it afterward the preview has launched or does it have to be there the whole time? There must be a loophole somewhere! AppGyver does not have this issue…

What would be nice, is an off-canvas side-swipe menu to get one to those Home and View Code buttons, that shows at the start of the app preview so (new) users know where it is and still complies with Apple’s 20% requirement (but is obviously dismiss-able).

Thank you.

1 Like

I share your frustration. I recommend adding your comments here as well:

Hopefully the requirements allow for tweaking of the required content (e.g. hiding it, making it smaller, etc.).

2 Likes

I’m also experiencing this on Android and it’s squeezing my entire screen into only part of it.

1 Like

Not sure about android, but for iOS

Yes, it’s an Apple requirement. In the https://developer.apple.com/support/downloads/terms/apple-developer-program/Apple-Developer-Program-License-Agreement-20211213-English.pdf in section 3.2.2

“…An Application that is a programming environment intended for use in learning how to program may download and run executable code so long as the following requirements are met: (i) no more than 80 percent of the Application’s viewing area or screen may be taken over with executable code, except as otherwise permitted in the Documentation…”

How much squishing is happening @codeswept ?

1 Like

@jared Still getting this on Android which is not a requirement from Google.

Please can Thunkable devs update the app as it has never been there until now.

Thank you.

Also, Android appears to have 25% filler which is obviously unnecessary.

1 Like

Look for an update to the companion app next week !

2 Likes

Great thank you :smiley:

The big white bar at the bottom is on iPhone and iPad.
This is a conflict to the design of an app.
When downloading the app,it is not there.

But why is it necessary?

Look at MIT App Inventor. In their live app in IOS there is no bar and 100% of the screen is usable.

1 Like

…and why can Apple‘s Swift Playground (a learning environment for programming) use 100% screen?

1 Like

Yes, it’s an Apple requirement. In the https://developer.apple.com/support/downloads/terms/apple-developer-program/Apple-Developer-Program-License-Agreement-20211213-English.pdf in section 3.2.2

“…An Application that is a programming environment intended for use in learning how to program may download and run executable code so long as the following requirements are met: (i) no more than 80 percent of the Application’s viewing area or screen may be taken over with executable code, except as otherwise permitted in the Documentation…”

The tldr; we don’t wanna get rejected because Apple is picky and we violate their terms in an effort to make everyone happy.

We dont like it either

Not sure how others do it, but we’re going to follow the rules for now. We have been talking about it and are planning to review things to make sure it’s still valid.

2 Likes

Wow, I have had a couple of weeks away from Thunkable so have only just seen this horrendous live app update!
I am a little confused by the interpretation of a couple of points in the above licence agreement,

I am not learning how to program, I am creating apps in a no-code environment.

its not executable code, its a demo view of the app.
And all this aside, I work in android and then just check layout/functionality in apple before publishing.
Can we not have it removed in Android?

2 Likes

@jared it is now

“next week” (in fact 2 weeks)

Please remind devs to remove this from Android ASAP. It is frankly unusable at the moment. Thank you.

2 Likes

Completely agree with this, Thunkable’s interpretation is far too overzealous. The fact is that Appgyver, Kodular (who are very similar with their blocks), Asala and several others simply do not have this, proving that it is not necessary, at all.

@martint is absolutely correct, " learning how to program" is not what Thunkable is, as well as it not being “executable code”, it is not Terminal nor is it JavaScript or actual code. So it is not necessary, Thunkable is causing major issues (now on Android as well) where it is proven to be pointless.

I challenge @Thunkable (@domhnallohanlon, @jared please pass this along) to have developers create a second app on the Apple app store called “Thunk Dev” or something, that clearly states it is for developers only, and not include the 20% bar, and see if it goes through. I’ve seen apps that have developer features make it though fine because it is noted in the app’s description regardless of the fact that other app builders do not do this.

Please, and Thank you.

2 Likes

Poll for anyone who would like to help figure out if the ‘View Code’ button on the Live App is even used.

I’m guessing that because it says “View Code” is half the reason Thunkable has added this bar, to be compliant. But the question is, is it even used by the community? This could be one step towards removing the whole white bar.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.