Updates to the Weekend Design Challenge

i actualy mostly love ai things too… i mean i have many i apps on thunkable built by me so i thought i might be pretty extert t that point

It didn’t work for me…

Can I see the app in Thunkable please?

Hey @tatiang - check out this remix of your project with the issues - there’s some weirdness with the canvas doing a resize/jigger/something right at the start, but I think the sprites are behaving correctly in this example? Certainly no sprites shooting around! :slight_smile:
(Tested on web and iPhone Thunkable Live.)

https://x.thunkable.com/copy/c230e3871fdbee1092dab0b298fa8915

If you start the red beaver at 0,0, that seems to produce the unexpected movement. Start him at 25,25 (which puts him fully on screen) and it all seems OK?

1 Like

I haven’t been sharing many of my projects but I’m assuming it didn’t work because of the location sensor not working in a browser.

1 Like

Interesting that there’s some threshold at/around x=25 where it doesn’t “shoot” the sprite to the right.

@jane

1 Like

Hey @tatiang,

This is because the location of the sprite is measured from the center (so I’d guess your sprite is 48x48 or 50x50??)

We were able to identify this behaviour thanks to your earlier post on Github and will hopefully have a fix out in the not-too-distant future

3 Likes

I’ve got an idea for the next Weekend Game Jam.

Bear with me because it’s probably an idea that appeals mostly to people my age (old people!).

When I was a kid, I loved playing handheld digital games. Now, some of you think I mean Nintendo DS or something like that. But no, did I mention I’m old?

I grew up playing games like this:

And this:

They were pretty simple both in terms of graphics and controls. They almost always had a d-pad for movement and a single button for jump/action.

And as you’ll notice in the videos, all of the sprites’ actions happen in separate “frames” so everything runs on a time cycle.

That simplicity makes coding such an app manageable. Coming up with a fun theme and satisfying movements/actions is the real challenge.

Mattel football was another favorite of mine but I’ve already designed that using a different coding tool in the past so I’d probably choose something else this time around.

Anyway, I have no idea if this would appeal to enough of you fellow Thunkers but I thought I’d at least suggest it!

6 Likes

@tatiang I like the idea as it brings back happy memories just by reading it.

2 Likes