Thunksten: An Open Source Web Browser

Monthly Update?? Tabs!!

Thanks for all your requests, I think @Shivendra_Kr_Sahu was first to ask for this? I’ve added the latest update to the first post - I think it’s neater if everything goes in the changelog so scroll up to the top, or if you’re feeling super lazy then just click on the card below to be redirected!

Creating “Tabs”

A lot of people [citation needed] have requested this, and one of the most common approaches seems to have been “Let’s just add in loads of WebViewers” which is fine where you only need two or three tabs.

Fun Fact: Once you open your 100th tab in Chome that little number changes into a smiley face. I’ve left this as an exercise for you to try yourselves! :smile:

What I’ve gone for instead is a list of all open tabs that you can navigate through, and just use the one WebViewer. It’s not going to win any design awards, but it gives the impression of tabs.

New Blocks in this update

In order to add in the Tabs_List_Picker I had to get rid of the “Go” button, but what self-respecting browser has a Go button these days anyway? The perfect way to replace it was by using @Taifun’s TextBox extension, this way clicking enter on the keyboard starts the whole process of opening the page you want. Check it our for yourself here:

There’s aren’t too many new blocks in this update. Firstly I created a new list for the URLs that would be displayed as tabs and I also started the “EnterPressedListener” (that bit is important! :wink:)

New “tabs” get added provided they don’t already exist, and the number of open tabs is displayed on the button, just like Chrome! I think that using parallel lists and WebViewer1.Current Title instead of WebViewer1.Current Url like I’ve used here would be a better looking approach, but I just wanted to get it working for now.

Finally, this is how I handled new tabs or old tabs:

Next item on my agenda is adding in a proper history/bookmarking system, but don’t let that stop you from making more suggestions!

9 Likes