👩‍🎨 The future of UI design in Thunkable

Glad you like it @giorgiospugnesi, and great to see you in the community again!

Yep, publishing for iOS has always been free :smiley:

“Publishing” for Android just downloads the APK (for self publishing!) but we’re thinking about ways we might build out a system similar to iOS next year.

Well… it’s not officially part of this release but … :joy:

2 Likes

WOW. This is a big change. I’m happy to see all of these tweaks!

I have questions about what Figma is – I suppose I can Google that – and how layered/overlapping components will work.

I guess we can forgive you all a bit for the small avalanche of bugs that cropped up recently! :wink: Clearly, you were busy behind the scenes.

So is this a “coming soon in 2021” sort of update?

4 Likes

:frowning: I have tried it but when we can code an app on the new design always? PLEASE PUBLISH THE NEW DESIGN ON WEBSITE THUNKABLE FOREVER

1 Like

Wow! This is great! Thunking gets easier day by day…

3 Likes

I love this! A superb work! :+1:

1 Like

You can opt in to try it right now @tatiang and @eko.devs.apploroceo. As folks get more familiar with it, it will become opt-out

You just put one component on top of the other! The new UI makes it that easy!

Was this possible in the current UI @samclever? Thanks for your suggestion, I’ll pass it along.

EDIT: Moved this to its own topic now.

That’s a great question @tchind - we’re planning to launch a converter for legacy projects next year. See the FAQ above:

Love your enthusiasm @unknownthunker! It’s opt-right now, the next step, in the coming weeks, is to move to opt-out, and eventually, in 2021, to make it the default for all projects but we want users to get a chance to try it out first since this is quite a significant change

3 Likes

Hi @domhnallohanlon,

some thought by me about this new GUI:

• in my apps I use the automatic sizing features for components a lot. This is useful for example in displaying information in labels, lists, buttons whatever: just set your row/column to “fill container” in height or width, and set “wrap=yes” then the contents of a row/columns get scaled correctly in different devices and different screen orientation. The new GUI is not even capable to adjust the position and sizes if you rotate from portrait to landscape. And I assumed that switching the screen to “landscape” in desinger mode would show me the GUI also in landscape, but no, it doesn’t.
  • for me it seems ok if a user can decide which GUI to use, but I hope, that the “old” GUI doesn’t die out over the time, and that also some improvements will take place in the old GUI. My personal wishlist contains horizontal scrolling, labels with rich text, dark mode as a global option, edit settings for a group of components (=select multiple components and edit settings all at once), font/background color for the list viewer.

And I am very curious about Figma, looks like a great addition!

6 Likes

Hi, glad to see that thunkable adds new content. However isn’t it better to focus on bugfixing given the current state of things?

I know that adding new content is much more motivating than bugfixing, but it just keeps piling up as time goes by.

I don’t know how thunkable works internally but it’s been 2, 3 weeks that I’m here and I’ve discovered a lot of bugs that sometimes have been present for a long time.

I’m going to make a strange comparison but it reminds me of the Fortnite game of the new content but full of bugs.

And I strongly encourage the community to report bugs they encounter and give as much info as possible.

And to organize longer test phases. I noticed that the updates were frequent but are there really test phases before they are released? Personally, I’m looking for stability before anything else.

1 Like

even I have bugs but I ignore them…
in October I did created an topic in which I was blaming thunkable for one of my apps which had to go in a competition but I left it behind now
ill making other apps
well thunkable app has a connection with ur storage in builder too I think

i discovered them in nov and oct

lmao

u trying to pressurize staff
even I have many bugs but I wnt
till the time it becomes hec tick
also see ur errors first

they are beta

Dear @domhnallohanlon, congrats for such a steep progress in the development!
Thanks for listening to the input of your faithful fans, and keep listening to it :slight_smile:
I really love this new UI, and I can just say one thing - take a look at this mockup:

CONGRATS AND JUST KEEP GOING STRONG!

7 Likes

@domhnallohanlon,

These changes, plus the potential for the block / design split screen are big improvements.But…

I REALLY miss being able to pop out the Preview as a responsive web app!

This has become a central development tool for me. When developing block intensive apps, it is nice to be able to have the responsive web app open on one screen, and the development environment in another. That way I can test the block functionality without switching between devices. And having the wide scree of the Responsive Web App (vs. the itty bitty phone emulator) provides a lot more real estate to read my custom log to see exactly what is happening in my block processing.

2 Likes

as of now lets not give them to much pressure
regards
ekansh’s kindness

1 Like

but you can test it inside thunkable and that’s more than enough for me

2 Likes

really it isnt
when u go to publish there are issues
so thats the issue no.idk too

@domhnallohanlon,

I happened to notice in one of your screenshots that there were “Picker” and “Pickeritem” components, I hope that this means that we will be able to use dropdowns (something I think most of us have wanted for a long time!) soon!:smile:

5 Likes

Yes, even I noticed that. A dropdown will be the best feature yet!

3 Likes

That’s really awesome! Thank you! Will try immediately :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nothing gets past this community @ianphaas :joy: yep - they’re under development, but there’s no ETA for them as yet!

@shauryabagrecha2312m - yes, this is intentional. At the moment it’s an opt-in for new projects. In the future we will have a conversion tool to update existing projects. See the FAQ above:

EDIT: Moved to its own topic

1 Like

Very interesting UI. I worked with it a little and is very funny and extremely simple and quick in design mode, although I saw that a lot of options, specifically the advanced options are missing.

Keep upgrading the already awesome platform guys…

Are you kidding me? Whooooooooohooooooo! Almighty Thunkable!

1 Like