[Superpost] Questions about Screen Orientation

How can I lock my app screens to be only on portrait mode?

1 Like

Thanks to the Thunkable Team, screen rotation on iOS works like a charm! “Live” and “built App”.

On Android, there are two bugs: switching from portrait to landscape works, but there a some parts missing in the lower part of the screen. Switching back from landscape to portrait leaves the lower 40% of the screen blank, it looks like cut off.

I would also love to see a configuration option with three possibilities: “automatic” / “portrait only” / “landscape only”.

3 Likes

@Michael_Rogulla, I am seeing the same thing. Great work #teamThunkable!! Thank you!! now, to work out the bugs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My buttons stops working on iOS Built app when I change from portrait to landscape then back to portrait.

Also, my app is built only for portait mode. Is there a way to lock my app or screen to be portrait only?

2 Likes

merci je chercher cette options vous m’avez dit qu’ils serais bientot disponible
faites moi savoir quand OK

1 Like

I am experiencing the same issue. I think this may be worth a post in the Github

@emilehuguenotte
Bienvenue dans la communauté et merci d’avoir ajouté à la discussion! Espérons que les développeurs parviendront rapidement à une solution. C’est une fonctionnalité très recherchée et nécessaire avec de nombreuses utilisations intéressantes, mais elle doit fonctionner parfaitement! Gardez les yeux ouverts pour les mises à jour!

1 Like

Hi @jared, thanks for the reply,

I opened issue #467 concerning screen orientation on Android.

1 Like

when will the landscape be available on android?

Hey @52m2u7sbfwq8

We’re upgrading our build system at the moment and when that’s complete it should be easier to set the orientation for Android devices. Hopefully we’ll have this out in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot.

Hopefully we get the landscape orientation in all platforms. By the way, would it be possible to have the landscape orientation in testing mode too?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Thanks for the request @neutronic_force7 this is something that we hope to be able to release at some stage later this year.

I lock my app screens to portrait mode so it will be locked on portatir mod but on iPhone 11 and iPhone XR, the screen still switches to landscape when the user tilts their phone. Any solution for this?

After last weeks upgrade we’re now in a better position to get cross platform screen orientation working again @maptheunknown.

Right now the focus is on bug fixes but after that we’re hoping to get back to these popular feature requests.

1 Like

Any ETA on Landscape Design Mode? Basically, if you want to develop a game like Angry Birds, etc. it is pretty hard if the design canvas isn’t in landscape. Funny thing is I saw a video of Thunkable from two years ago that showed it working that way.

Hey @jtryba,

Some awesome Community members have discovered a trick to achieve this. Here’s roughly the idea. (I didn’t discover this).

1. Inspect your project which would be under x.thunkable.com/projects/ .

2. Select the background using your selector tool via Chrome.

3.Once it’s selected, change the css sizing properties.

4. Tada.

3 Likes

:thinking::thinking:

So familiar! :rofl::rofl:

Make your screen a size. I use Animo (a chrome extension) to make recurrent CSS modifications.
To make the display landscape. You only need to add this to the css already present. No need to change the screen size, necessarily.

transform: rotate(-90deg);

3 Likes

Credits to @jared :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Changing the CSS was great help generally. I played with that for a bit. But for games I also found that I can just change the stage height and width. So, I made the stage 450 by 800 to give me a 16x9 stage and set the screen to force landscape. That seems to do it for game apps at least. Since design is all done on the stage, it is whatever size the stage is set to. At runtime, the for landscape should work and the stage should look as designed.

1 Like

Forgive me if I have missed it, but when setting a screen to auto, it by default (when the device is in landscape) goes to landscape but the wrong way.

Maybe the default orientation assumes the device is in landscape with (iOS) the home button to the left.

1 Like

Is screen orientation working well now for both Android and iOS? I stepped away for a while and now I’m back. Wanted to ask because I don’t see anybody celebrating that it is working fine now… I need to lock my app into landscape mode. Thanks ahead!!