[Superpost] In app purchases and subscriptions for IOS and Android

Apple and Google only charge for in app purchases (thus the entire dilemma with Fortnite). Amazon doesn’t pay a penny to Apple or Google for their purchases. If you’re selling digital goods that do not benefit the users experience on the app (any sort of e-commerce shop), then you won’t have any issues.

Spotify pays 30% to Apple, but again to emphasise the point, if you’re not selling app improvements or something like removing ads, then you will not have any trouble.

However we would all like to see in app payments.

1 Like

Thanks for helping clarify so, apps like just eat that take a commission on the in app sell, are ok for google, right?

cause that is like my app would do, and therefore i’d need this

It’s not so much how you do the payment, but more what the payment does. Spotify get charged 30% because it’s an app upgrade, whereas just eat is physical goods (food), just like Amazon, and so they avoid the 30%.

Imagine I am a user of your app, if I pay €5 or something like this what happens? Am I purchasing digital or physical goods from you or am I receiving an app upgrade such as no ads.

Check the release notes. Thunkable added a new component “in-app purchases”. Waiting to see it in the production system

[See the topic I created](http://community.thunkable.com/t/in-app-purchases-coming-soon/986830/2)

I am waiting for the new in-app purchase component. No offence but, I will leave Thunkable if there’s no component like this in the next few months.

what are you looking to use in-app purchases for? you may be able to use an external solution such as stripe checkouts.

2 Likes

You see, I am an author. So I am trying to sell my books through my app.

1 Like

Are these books listed in Google Read?
Or a digital service affiliated with Google

In-App purchase is for purchasing digital data (mostly) that is listed with Google. If you are selling books of your own then you are good using a payment service such as Stipe.

How cool - what sort of books do you write?

And at the moment, how are you currently selling them? (Are they on Amazon, Google etc?)

1 Like

I could see what you’re getting at potentially. In our payments would not be required for an app that’s only used as a reader or to display books or movies or audio. If that was the case this user could use stripe payment or some other online payment processor.

many of us still want in app purchases which will require the native iOS in app purchase component for example. I’m wondering if that will ever be a possibility. For at least a year and a half, you have indicated that thubkable was working to make native IAPs possible.

Are there any clear end date or rough eta on this?

2 Likes

Well, I like to write fiction and mystery books. AND IT’S SOMETHING WHICH IS NOT AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW, BUT MY BOOKS WILL COME ON AMAZON SOMETIME LATER FOR SURE.

Yes, so do I.

Hi there!

I want to know it is possible to make a membership app. For example, meditation app. If you pay the monthly subscription you can use all the content. Or different levels of users. Or if you pay there would not be more ads.

Cheers

1 Like

The app is doable but at the moment there is no In-App Purchase component in Thunkable.

Hey! Thank you for you answer.

Would be possible to open a webview in the app. That goes to the website where the user can make the payment. When he do that firebase will be update as the user is a premium user. Than the app will read that and show new things.

It is possible to put ads in the app?

Cheers

1 Like

Technically possible? Yes. However this sort of set up won’t be approved by Apple (and probably Google) for distribution. We’re working on an IAP component and are hoping to have it out in the next month or two.

How many users does your app have at the moment @be0b8d6f432140 If you’re building a membership app you should focus on getting 1,000 to 10,000 downloads first before adding any monetisation.

Sure thing - Admob is currently available to PRO members, but the same logic applies; if you don’t have any users yet there’s little point in monetising your app since no users = no revenue. That being said, there’s no harm in putting a banner ad in your project and building up your advertiser profile with Admob, it’s just a longer journey to being able to build a revenue stream.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help.

I did not start any app yet. I wanted to know if would be possible because I do not want to invest all time and than in the future can do it. My intention after publishing the app wait until I have around 10k downloads.

Cheers

Make the app with all the free content you are going to offer. By the time it’s published and you have 10k daily users the IAP component may be available in Thunkable. You can then make the premium content.

2 Likes

:+1:

Thanks for all the replies. I will do that

1 Like