[Solved] MQTT Support - Bring back extensions

I’ve recently switched from MIT AI2 to Thunkable for my mobile app coding platform in our curriculums. Thunkable’s live testing and easy integrations make this an easy choice, however, lately I’ve been having some remorse due the inflexible nature of Thunkable. In some ways, it’s greatest asset is its greatest curse.

Google recently disabled students from using Cloud Services in the education workspace unless they are over 18. This means my students (and pretty much all MS/HS students) can not use Firebase, and thus they cannot use Thunkable to create their own apps in school.

I am a capable developer and would like to create my own MQTT service and real-time database, however the new Thunkable X does not have this capability (only WebAPI, no Extensions). We really need the ability to add extensions (ideal) or have a web sockets component built into the app. Thunkable risks continuous loss of functionality based on 3rd party limitations. Please advise, since Firebase as a teaching tool is dead.

2 Likes

Extensions will not be possible in Thunkable X as Apple does not allow them.

Speak to Apple and convince them to change their mind. If they do then you can ask Thunkable to allow them.

In future please search the forum as most queries, or requests like yours, have already been addressed.

2 Likes

I’m running into this issue with Firebase restrictions as well. I’m in contact with Google about it but I doubt they will make any exceptions. They’ve opted for no access and no features for various products (e.g. YouTube) versus trying to compromise and allow students to use products for educational purposes.

2 Likes

This is probally not going to happen cuz’ Thunkable is a cross platform,
And there for is written in a language that is supported on android,iOS and web so ai2, kodular of niotron extensions wont work.

If you really need something that’s not in Thunkable you can always Use the webviewer wich can executie various if JavaScript functions e.g. API’s ,device information etc.
By running Them through An URL.

Cheers

Luke

2 Likes

To add to the previous comments about extensions, this is from the Apple site

You can see the Apple document here

2 Likes

There is more than one way to skin a cat Dean… While extensions would be nice, MQTT support is also an option. A colleague and I have been working with Thunkable on some workarounds or potential updates. But thanks for the very insightful and helpful response. Cheers mate!

1 Like

Thanks much Luke! This is how we intend to work though this in the short term, by essentially running a JS service in the Webview that passes messages back and forth. Not elegant, but functional. Hoping we can work with Thunkable to build something a little more integrated.

3 Likes

Thanks. So we are apparently in quite a jam, being small time teachers stuck with limitations imposed by giants, because of Apple we can’t create customer code, and because of Google students can’t access Firebase. I understand the rationale for these decisions, however, the goal of this inquiry was to foster a discussion on how we might be able to integrate lost functionality, extensions is one way, MQTT direct support is another, or perhaps a smart workaround. As it stands there really isn’t a practical solution out there, so was hoping to get some thoughts on how to solve the problem, rather than reasons why it can’t be solved. But I do appreciate insights into the complexities.

3 Likes

Agree, I’ve reached out to Google and they’ve been less than helpful. A colleague and I are working on a backend service based on JS that acts as a middleman, passing data back and forth through the webview component. If/when we get it working reliably I will reach out and share it with you. Cheers!

4 Likes

Hopefully you are successful in this. Apple shouldn’t have any objections there.

1 Like

If I where you I would choose the path of either GAS (Google Apps Script) or GCP (Google Cloud Platform).

Using any of there you can create your own set of functions and call these functions from Thunkable using the Web API component.

Going back to the issue of Extensions. Thunkable is designed in React Native which by default uses extensions and libraries and Apple/Google accepts the type of extensions that plugs into the React Native app. If you directly design in React Native then there are tons of extensions and libraries available to you.

It is the case here with Thunkable that, as part of their design, does not allow libraries to be linked with the project.

2 Likes