Scrolling Text Tutorial

I still don’t fully understand what you’re trying to build.

Users can type things into a text input and each new item will be shown in numerical order in the ticker?

Is that it?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

this is easy and brilliant

1 Like

Thanks @saramdl.gaunde021, glad to hear you liked it.

@tobi I spent a little while trying to make this work this morning. It was not problem to number and add new items to a list, I could also display the list in the label, but for some reason the label would no longer scroll. Actually, now that I’ve typed this I think I know what the problem might be…

Actually I want to add that list to the Data list viewer.

Aha…if you’re working with the Data Viewer then that’s something entirely different to scrolling text in a label. Please create a new post with this question in the #thunkable category. Thanks!

1 Like

Great solution, @domhnallohanlon. Very clever.

I’m trying to pull a weather description from an API and nest it into this, but it doesn’t work like a static string of text does. It doesn’t scroll, it flashes the first letter at the front and back.

Any ideas if it’s possible, or if I need to do something different, by chance?

If it helps, I put a short screengrab here. Many thanks!!

https://deangebert.com/scroller.mov

The trick to @domhnallohanlon’s project is that it constantly displays the label’s text as it’s getting modified. There’s sort of a recursive aspect to using the label’s text as an input to the value of the label’s text. Let that sink in!

Your blocks actually don’t modify the text string more than once even though it’s in a forever loop. This is because you’re getting the property from a static source each time it iterates through the loop. So instead of this:

“The quick brown fox”
“he quick brown fox
“e quick brown fox”
" quick brown fox”

It’s doing this:

“The quick brown fox”
“he quick brown fox”
“The quick brown fox”
"he “quick brown fox”

It keeps resetting because the start of the loop isn’t getting the string that was modified, it’s getting the string that was the original source.

So, to fix that, you need to assign a variable to the get property of object blocks before the forever loop starts. Then, replace all of your get property of object blocks with the variable block. And then each time you get the substring, you’re going to need to set the variable to it so that the variable gets updated.

Oh wait, this might be easier:

Forget about variables! Just set the label’s text to the get property of object blocks before the forever loop starts and then use @domhnallohanlon’s method… voila!

Well, I haven’t tested it but I think that will work. :wink:

Edit: tested and yep, it works.

1 Like

Thanks again!! I’ll tinker with this and the DVL in StP over the weekend.

Cheers,
Dean…

I’m uber impressed you figured it out. I must be misunderstanding when you say…

I’ve iterated on it a couple different ways, but it’s still not cooperating.

and

Without showing me your blocks, can you explain it a little more, please?

This is correct:

The rest of the blocks should look like they do in step #5 of the first post of this topic.

So you’ll need to have a bunch of green Scroll Data's Text blocks like @domhnallohanlon used instead of the get property of object blocks that you have everywhere.

1 Like

Ok, thank you. It was a long and difficult week at work, so I’m just now getting back to this project.

Cheers!!

It’s so good – exactly like I wanted it to work. Thanks again, @tatiang!!

I was also able to figure out how to add space, so there was some distance between the repeat forever mechanism. It just took some trial and error in a few different places. (of course the 1 that worked was the last one I tried :grinning:)

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 5.59.27 PM

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 6.00.07 PM

1 Like